Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
After pining through the archives, I am looking for some help with my heater.
The fan motor is working fine, but it won't blow any warm/hot air. It only blows cold. It's almost like its stuck in A/C mode because when I move the temp lever, I don't notice any changes. I thought maybe the lever cable had come off the control valve, but I can't find the valve. It's not the same as my 81 ZXT. The 83 has the auto temp control, and the 81 does not, but I need to know if this auto control unit hooks up to the control valve or is it electronic coming straight from the heater unit. Could the heater unit itself be bad. Is there any way of determining what might be going on here?
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have an 81turbo with auto ac and will be converting it to manual if I have the car long enough. Check the heater control valve on the heater water line. If it is recieving a vaccum signal, it should open and let hot water run through the heater core. If it is not getting a vaccum signal, I'd consider changing from the auto temp to a manual system. It could be repaired but there are a lot of variable resistors on the auto system that could be worn out.

81zxturbo
95slobaru

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have an '82 with the auto control system that doesnt' work very good at all. However, my heat selector does manually control the valve on the water line so yours should to. The cable may have come off on one end or the other. See if you can pull the valve open with your hand.

I don't know if you've had the car long, but did it ever blow heat at all? If not, check the other side of the firewall, on the left side of the engine. See if the hoses go into the car or if they bypass the interrior.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bleach,

Yes, it used to blow great heat, in fact just last winter it worked fine. Where is this water line that the valve is connected to. I just replaced the control valve on my 81, but I can't locate it on my 83 with Climate Control. I moved the center conlsole and the glove box and still can't see anything that resembles a control valve.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be a crack in one of the vacuum lines--an easy fix. I'd check that first---it's probably the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.