ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 240Z and have an opportunity to buy a 83 280zxt that has light body damage. ONly has 79K. Is it better to swap entire motor with FI and Turbo or add an turbo to exsisting. My car now runs but may need work mechanically in the future. Is the conversion complicated. I got an estimate of $1500 just for labor. I know u have to switch all the brain boxes. Can I use the 83ZT transmission as well or should I stick with the stock. If I do buy 83ZT does anyone need parts. It has good t-tops and insides are immaculate.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
When I had a 240 z back in 83-84, I never liked the zx cars. I felt like the styling was cheesy and perferred the cleaner lines of my 70 model. I bought a turbo 83 about 10 months ago (my first z since) and man I really like this car. Really comfortable, smooth, has current options I like and faster than I remember my 240 being(a little). One thing I didn't like about the 240 was it was too basic. Not comfortable enough for my daily driving tastes. Having piloted an 86 Yamaha Fazer 700 I got addicted to speed, but found I stayed healthier with walls around me. This year I found out that the turbocharged cars do it for me. I would suggest saving the zx car instead of throwing away what sounds like a potentially good car. Find a smashed turbo car and scavenge the stuff you need. My opinion is be a 2 Z collector. Man do I feel better! Sorry dude.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I agree. I have a 83ZXT and really enjoy using it as a daily driver. If the 83 only has "slight" damage and the low miles, for the $1200 bucks that you mentioned for the conversion you could maybe fix the 83 and have a complete package, not a hybrid car and all the potential problems with that. If you had a totalled out 83ZXT and a 240 with a blown motor, then why not, but it sounds like with a small investment, you could have 2 classics.
Something to think about.

Russel 83ZXT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.