ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend said that his 99 silverado 4.8L V-8 255HP can beat my 83 280zxt what do yall think should i give him a go

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Depends on what kind of shape your car's in(n/m)

> my friend said that his 99 silverado 4.8L
> V-8 255HP can beat my 83 280zxt what do yall
> think should i give him a go

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Depends on what kind of shape your car's in(n/

Go for it, just for fun. Im sure it is much heavier and bigger tires?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well, I think you should do your best to blow his doors off. It kills me that all of these pickup truck guys think that their Chevy's are fast. Keep in mind that that truck weighs about 1000lbs more than your ZXT. If your ZXT is an automatic in correct running order, you should be able to do a low 15 in the quarter. The only truck I know of that is that quick is the new Dodge Dakota w/the 360cid motor. However, this is a smaller truck w/a more powerful engine than the Chevy in question. It should be no problem letting him know that Z's rule. And, if you don't beat him is a drag race, offer to race him at an autocross!!! Now which one do you think would win? Let us all know the outcome, please!!!

Ian

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Remember its not how many horses it is its how its set up most ford f150s have the mustang 5.0 engine and the new ones have a bigger one I was told but I know that the 95 has a 5.0
anyway remember its set up for pulling and power
not speed sure he would beat you in a pulling race but for speed tell him Z U Later

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Depends on what kind of shape your car's in(n/

I don't car if auot or stick. you can't lose just do 2 things. First buy high performace fuel pump. Second bend wastegate rod on turbo until you get 10lbs. boost you can thank me later.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If your car is running ok you shouldn't have a problem. I have a '97 and was going to trade it in for the '99, but didn't because of what they where going to give me for mine. I test drove one anyways and it was pretty fast. My boss got a '99 and a co-worker raced me in mine. I beat him, but not by much. Mine is still stock with 16k on it.
Bet him. You should win.

·
Registered
680 Posts
One thing I know of it alway the driver that has the odds if the driver good then he will win more even if the other car is faster with a sucky driver in it.

Now for the f150 I use my mom f150 stick and beaten Mustags with it. your right it not built for speed but one thing I do know is timing and how u take off. burn the tires u lose speed. know when to shift and when not to shift. I learn this from other people from here and there. Know your car. Know how to use it. And use it well. And if not Learn it. Take it to a track and ask the people that win alot how they did it. Use there ideas and form your own.
Dont ask some one that always lose u will not get anywhere with that.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Both where auto's, but it does make a difference when flooring it in a big engine.I do have a tach, so that helped and driving my truck for the last year helped tremendously. Knowing where to drop the clutch helps in stick or auto. Don't know if he spun or not, but I did beat him by about a car's thength in about 1/4 mile. It always feels good to beat a newer vehicle with an older one whether it be in a '97 or an older Z. My Z won't do much yet(although running real good for stock and 180k), but someday, with help from all here, at the best forumn out there. Thanks everyone in advance. Z ya

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
> Both where auto's, but it does make a
> difference when flooring it in a big
> engine.I do have a tach, so that helped and
> driving my truck for the last year helped
> tremendously. Knowing where to drop
> the clutch helps in stick or auto.
> Don't know if he spun or not, but I did beat
> him by about a car's thength in about 1/4
> mile. It always feels good to beat a newer
> vehicle with an older one whether it be in a
> '97 or an older Z. My Z won't do much
> yet(although running real good for stock and
> 180k), but someday, with help from all here,
> at the best forumn out there. Thanks
> everyone in advance. Z ya
OK my 280zxt has 133000 miles on it. mods i have are the ram air kit from motorsport auto. A ps-20 coil and a 2.5 inch exhaust system with no muffler. So i'll let yall know what happens if we do race. He is a older guy and i dont think he will race and is just talking alot of crap. I will see if he wants to do it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
> my friend said that his 99 silverado 4.8L
> V-8 255HP can beat my 83 280zxt what do yall
> think should i give him a go
should not be a big deal. i have 83 zxt 2+2. recently ran a late model 4.6 mustang don't get me wrong i didn't eat him alive but he was slowly but surely dropping back. we had about a 25-30 mph rolling start going uphill for about 1/4 of a mile and you cold have put another stang between us at top. give your friend a try you might just surprise him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are better off with the Z than the truck,,, the truck might have a bigger engine but it's havier and less aeerodynamic... not like the Z which I know is better off for this race... I have one myself that I imported from Japan and it's now in Germany...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.