ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to fix tranny. Want to replace input shaft bearings and synchros. Nissan synchros comes as an assembly with the gear, price $180. Four gears is almost $800. Anyone know of a distributor that sells them for less.

or is there another 5 speeed tranny from another car that will bolt up.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Get a standard Nissan 5 speed with the matching driveshaft and tranny mount. It will fit. The nonturbo cars came with the Nissan unit instead of the Borg Warner in your turbo car. The nissan trannies can be had used in good shape for under $200. Not so withthe BW trans, as you have found out.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are the BW tranny's better? Are the gear ratios the same or are the BW's smaller for quicker accell or taller for higher top end? There was a guy around here that specializes in Z's and he had a close-ratio 5-speed from Nissan but wanted $1,300 for it. I said, "uhhhh...... no."
What are the other type of trannies available other than the standard H design. What is the one that is just up and down shifting, not Hurst either. Like a motorcycle, one down, five up.

Oh yeah, greg, I got some injectors from my buddy at Boshe. They are 44lbs made for a Ford with o-rings at the upper end and lower end. Now to make 'em work...

Later,
LuZZifer
'83 turbo project
'87 turbo

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Ford injectors</b>

LuZZifer, the ford injectors can't work with a stock nissan ECU as the resistance is too high on the injector coil. use them and you will fry your ECU. Sell them to a mustang guy and go buy 280ZXT injectors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
RE: Ford injectors

This is a custom engine rebuild with a TEC-II computer controlling fuel and ignition matters. The TEC can handle both low and high impedance. Thanks though. I've got turbo pistons - .020" over, Total Seal rings, 44lb domestic style injectors (1/3-1/4 the price of import style), and now getting a N-42 head, N-47 intake and a T3/T4 hybrid turbo. And let the TEC bring it all together. I will have to modify the intake to accept the injectors and make a custom fuel rail. That won't be a problem since my cousin is a research engineer for Hendricks Racing, so I can get him to do that for me, plus maybe the head/intake work. The only thing is I will have to wait until the NASCAR circuit is over and that lasts forever!!!

Thanks for the input. Are you sure the injectors are high impedance? My buddy told me they were made to go into the Thunderbolt, some big truck they make.

Later,
LuZZifer
'83 turbo project
'87 turbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.