ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to get and install and intercooler on my 83 280zxt? I'm currently running on 7-9 psi. Also, how much would an intercooler cost me? This is my first turbo car, so any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
check out his guys web page
http://www.flash.net/~joeao/greg/zxintercooler.html

its not a super easy project but if you made sure you had all the tools and parts up front you could do it in a few days of working with it.

i believe hks or greddy sells a kit for like 1100 bucks!!! i think it may be the same one you can get from MSA as its around the same price.

if you get an intercooler make sure you get one from a 6 cylinder vehicle. that way it will support the airflow the 2.8L puts out. i would recommend the one from the single turbo toyota supra. or maybe have one custom made??? just depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
62 Posts
try this website
http://www.flash.net/~joeao/greg/zxintercooler.html

its not that hard if your a good shadetree mechanic and have the proper tools and parts up front to start the project. but it just takes time, patience and planning. its not something you could do quickly in your driveway.

i would reccomend a intercooler out of a 6 cylinder turbo car. the i/c from a single turbo toyota supra is a good choice and will support the airflow from your motor. or if you have the money, have one custom made. i don't know what that would run though.

if you have a manual transmission installing a blow-off valve and having it vent back into your intake upstream of your AFM would be a good idea if you haven't already done this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not very much actually. It's more of a future project idea, trying to think up some ways to improve my performance, without going super expensive/complex.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
A Starion intercooler will run you around $150+ on ebay. Then there's also the Isuzu NPR intercooler...these are the best but they are pricey. As far as installing it the only thing that will be tricky is laying out the piping. I'm also going to this to my 83zxt and the guy that's going to bend my pipes told me to use flexible ducting hose like the one you use for a Dryer to make a model of how I wanted the piping to fit. You mentioned your running 7-9 psi, are you using an after market boost gauge? I hope you are. Let me know if you have other questions.

ratedZ

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'd recommend a 93-98 Supra TT ic core. Better cooling than Star/Quest and cheaper too. Water injection is a good alternative to ic'ing or in conjunction with an ic. I have a 300zxt but I'm planning on selling it and getting a 280z or 280zxt. Just kinda lurking and listening. I'm interested in what aftermarket turbo's ya'll use and what types of intakes and exhaust too. I installed K&N 9" cone and ss pipe to replace my stock air box and resonator. I put a 3" Mandrel bent turbo-back exhaust on that I got from CM in Florida. Couldn't find anyone with a Mandrel bending machine here in Houston that could do 3" pipes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.