ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new turbo. I want to make sure that I am getting sufficient oil supply to the new turbo. I have heard to disconnect the oil supply line & the ignition wire & turn the engine over for 15-20 seconds.

If this is the case, how much oil should I get when I do this. I have heard anywhere from 1-2 cups. This is a big difference in quantity.

Can you narrow it down, or give me a good idea what to look for, because I don't want to burn another one up.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
did you replace the oil suply line when you changed your turbo? I know that is the primary cause of the turbo failing, the line clogging up. Some turbo mfg's will not honor their warranty unless the line is replaced also.

A few months ago I completly removed my supply line (for preventive maintenance) It had a little build up in it but I kept flushing it out till it was all clean. If you are not replacing the line I would at least try to clean yours out good.

I did not think about trying to pre-lube mine before I started the car, I just let it idle for a while before driving it. Have not had any problems.

Dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just finished putting a new(reman) turbo on my 83Turbo and put a new oil line on it. My reman supplier would not warrant my turbo without the proof of a new line. The line cost me $73.00 from Nissan and it took about 1 week to get.

For me,(a weekend shadetree knuckle buster) it was too much work getting the old exhaust off, loosening the nut lock plates, etc. So I just put a new one on.

A Woods
Houston

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.