ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this forum. I am not terribly car literate, I just like old cars and recently got interested in the old ZXs - late 70s and 80s. I am in the Dallas area and looking at 2 options - a 1983, 1 owner, seemingly well maintained 280zx with 200k miles for $6k and a 1989 1-owner, seemingly well maintained 300zx with 100k miles for $5k. I have never driven a z car, read up a bit, and not sure how to decide. I like the looks of both the cars (the 83 a bit more maybe), main concern is reliability, don't want this to become a money pit. Also, my 19yr old college kid may be driving the car as well. I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but which one would be more advisable if reliability takes priority over performance and looks? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,334 Posts
That's a tough one. The straight six Z-cars are very durable, but 200K is enough that the rest of the car will show wear, and an 83 ZX is 37 years old (I have a 1983 ZX Turbo). All the hoses, brake lines, wiring, etc is also 37 years old.

If you do all your own car maintenance (sounds like you don't) the earlier Z is easier to work on. If you have a dealer or indy shop work on the car, they are more likely to know something about the newer vehicle, which also has 100K fewer miles.

Unless you're a car DIY type, I'd vote for the 1989 Z-car.

Are you sure you don't want to find a 1980's Chevy Impala POS for the kid?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, makes sense, unfortunately always have to choose between head and heart (just that the 83 is so distinctive looking). I will check on the 83 for what has been replaced. I am definitely not the car DIY type...yet, although I see a mid life crisis coming on and may take up car DIY who knows. May consider the Impala....if I find one that comes with a hidden/undiscovered stash of dollar bills adding up to a 100k under the backseat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts