ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy,

So I have a 83 280zx with N/A and a 5 speed that runs and drives but I have recently come across a 83 280zx 2+2 turbo 5 speed that runs and drives. The 2+2 has a electronic dash and in great condition I just hate the look of the 2+2. I was curious if i swapped the motor and tranny with the dash too what all would I have change other than the wiring harness?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Hey guy,

So I have a 83 280zx with N/A and a 5 speed that runs and drives but I have recently come across a 83 280zx 2+2 turbo 5 speed that runs and drives. The 2+2 has a electronic dash and in great condition I just hate the look of the 2+2. I was curious if i swapped the motor and tranny with the dash too what all would I have change other than the wiring harness?

Thanks.

you have a lot of reading to do. many posts here about this very topic. check out www.xenonzcar.com and read up on the s130 section. there is a very good write up on doing the swap. another good site to read up on is www.datsunzgarage.com
note, you can do a complete turbo swap, or keep the engine that is in your car and add the turbo stuff... it can be done. i have done it and so have many others. your choice.

don't chop up the 2+2 just yet.... you know, with the right body kit, the right spoiler, and the right wheels, the 2+2 can look awesome. seriously. but, i'm a coupe guy and nothing quite comes close to the look of the coupe, so i understand not taking a liking to the 4 seater. but man i've seen some super nice ones out there.

the dash will swap out. you can even do the analog swap if you wish. how good do the engines run? good compression? cooling? leaks? good stuff to know before making your decision. the trannys and the rear ends are different....83 n/a has the 3.90 which is awesome while the turbo has the 3.54. late n/a has the close ration 5-spd while the 83 turbo came with the T-5. all that stuff will swap right out, but i believe the t-5 has a bigger drive shaft. lots of things to look at. again, start doing the research.

Bon

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
the coupe turbo uses the same rear end as the 2+2, If I recall. I am not aware of a transmission difference, but it would stand to reason that would also be the same. I have both models, both in N/A. But the coupe differential mount has dried up. All thats left is the mount for R-200 for the 2+2 and turbo. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts