Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
82ZX expected engine life???

My zx has 150k mi on it with only the head gasket ever being it's major malfunction. The zx still starts and runs as when it was new. Any idea of expected engine life under normal operating conditions and regular (3K mi) oil changes??? Please share your experiences.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
RE: 82ZX expected engine life???

Mine sees normal usage as a daily driver, but also doubles as an autocrosser once/twice a month. It has 186 thou on it, is driven 100 miles a day. Runs strong and when on the track, it whines up to 6000 pulling all the way. My guess is it will still run about 125 or close to it on the top end. As for how much longer it will last, don't know, it appears to be healthy in all respects.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: 82ZX expected engine life???

I don't know that the year of the engine is as important as care, the ZX engine in my experinces have been BULLETPROOF, one of the reasons I LOVE the cars so much, I have never seen the lower end of the engine EVER malfunction. I have had 3 so far, I bought a 1980 Canadian Modle, that I got running like A top, It had 270,000 miles on it when I sold it, after owning it for 2 years, and driving it close to 100mpg every day to make a 30 mile commute from Redding, CA to Red Bluff, CA. I never had a hickup with it, I had to do some work initialy, once I did that, no problems at all. I also put a MONSTER stereo system in it, and did not upgrade the Alternator, still no problems electrical or otherwise. I adjusted the Valves about every 20,000 miles or so. I believe I put close to 60,000 of the miles on the car myself. The second ZX I had was a 1983 ZX Turbo, it was at 156,000 miles when I loaned it to an EX friend and he wrecked it. That one was original miles I know for sure, as it was a 2 owner car before me and I meet both of the prior owners, it was even the original Turbo (so they told me). This latest one I have is a 1982 280ZX 2+2, and I bought it for $500.00. In proccess of restoring it right now, so far I got it running like a top, lots of power, and it has 151,000 miles on it. Although I think someone put one of those 40,000 mile japanese engines in this one, as when I replaced the valve cover gasket, the Cam Lobes where practicly polished.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: 213,+++ on a turbo, 0 majors

Still wondering about turbo, it's weak at times and I have another to go on, but the Z-barn did all known work on the car for the original owner (body work when it got tagged, too) and my freind bought it from her after selling her two sets of tires over the years. I bought it from him and Z-barn says all it ever had done to it was a clutch and some injector work. No turbo? I run the car hard and don't have any major problems other than some oil usage. I have to add a quart in between changes. The valve trian will tap when started first thing in the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.