ZCar Forum banner

82' zxt starter is like it hits something after 2 turns? Help

307 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Him
I have an '82 280zxt 2+2 stock about 110,000 mi. It was running fine and then a couple of days ago when I tried to start it it turned the starter over twice and then it was like it hit something. When I got home I took a wrench and tried to turn the crank and did so successfully(only about an 1/8 turn). I then tried to start it again and the same two turns of the starter and it's like it hit something. I removed the starter and reconnected it in mid air and it turns fine with no load. I tried to turn the crank again and I only get about 1/4 revoultion before it gets hard to turn (sparkplugs out and all belts connected). My fears is timing chain jumped an I will have to rebuild to which I don't really want to put 2-3k in a car that's not worth but 2-3K fixed. Body is in good shape as the rest of the car but needs paint.

Does anybody have any better news or suggestions before it goes to the shop for estimates?

Help!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Re: 82' zxt starter is like it hits something after 2 turns? Hel

Time to learn to build the engine yourself.

It really isn't that hard and this gives you an excuse to do it. I agree to pay someone to repair the vehicle is probably NOT cost effective!

Also if you pull engine you can part the car out and get at least $1000

Try another starter before you do anything else. It could be the bendix, and that would not show up unless its under a load..........

Open the valve cover check to see you have anythiing broken that can jam up the cam and or valve from moving. Next is to remove all the belts and then turn the crank by hand. This is to check the other stuffs connects thru those belts weren't the cause. Next is to drain the oil and check for debris in the oil. If you see any shiny debris then you might have broke your pushrod. Time to tear down the motor. Good luck
Vinh

I will try the starter from my parts car and failing that I may check valve train and timing. may wimp out and send to shop for diagnosis.

Thanks to all who responded I have the knowledge to rebuild just lack confidence. Never been past the the valve cover. Rule of thumb to date has been anything on the outside of the engine is fair game.

I may be looking for morale support soon.

Thanks again!
Stop do NOT use starter

'I tried to turn the crank again and I only get about 1/4 revoultion before it gets hard to turn (sparkplugs out and all belts connected).'

Hard to turn over or is it 'hitting' a stop?

'My fears is timing chain jumped an I will have to rebuild to which I don't really want to put 2-3k in a car that's not worth but 2-3K fixed.'

Try to turn the engine over with a wrench NOT a starter. A starter has enough power to do severe damage!

Turn the engine in both directions and determine if it is hitting a stop. Sounds to me like it is. This is probably NOT a bad starter, and if you put another starter in, you might bend or break what is hitting (valves, rods, etc)

Then after this test, you can proceed as vinh said. Hope it is just a starter or alternator binding, but ...

Post Edited (Nov 10, 2:51pm)
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.