ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an 82 zxt that had been sitting about 2 years under tarp. I replaced battery, sprayed wd-40 into plug holes and installed new plugs, oil level is up(but dirty), and put about 5 gallons of fresh gas in tank. My question is: I don't think the fuel pump is coming on, can you hear it upon turning the ignition on? If so, I saw the post about a fuel pump relay on a 76, do you think this may be a problem? Come to think of it, I have not checked the fuses, so I will, but any info in the mean time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
rob

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Rob--------------The relay could be bad, but odds are that there's another problem. After sitting up that long, you may have a frozen pump. Sometimes a good sharp rap will break the internals loose and allow the pump to work. You are on the right track to check the fuses first, though. I'm a great believer in doing the simple, inexpensive things first when troubleshooting. You should hear the pump come on when the key is in the "on" position. If you aren't hearing it, it's not working.

By all means take the time to drop and examine the tank. You will be ahead to do this before you run the car, it will save you more trouble later. I didn't do this when I picked up my '83 turbo car, and now I'm faced with damaged and clogged injectors. You should also use compressed air and blow all the lines out. Start at the tank and disconnect the lines, then take them loose in the engine bay before the filter. Blow them out from the tank end, and replace the filter before starting the car.

You'll need to spend some major time cleaning and tightening all the various connectors in the ECCS system wiring. There are several of them including the injector connections that will probably be corroded. A factory manual will be very handy in tackling this job.

Good luck!

Roadman

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with just about everything Roadman has said. Take the easy way first. Although..on my 81na, the fuel pump never came on with the turn of the key to On. It only came on in "Start" and then "On" once the engine was running. The pump did come on with a "half ass" turn to start.. halfway between on and start. I'd check the fuses, check all wiring connections, then move into beating on the pump itself. :) Who knows, you might just have a funny pump like I do.

Good luck..
il82

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
On the 82 & 83 the fuel pump comes on in the "run" position for 5 seconds and then shuts off.

The fuel pump should come back on when turned to the "start" position. You can check this by removing the small gauge wire from the starter solenoid and turn the key to "run" and wait for it to stop, then further turn the key to the "start" position. The pump should run until you release the key.

Before you try to actually start the engine I would disconnect the fuel line after the fuel filter and pump gas into a container until is is clear an clean.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.