ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm wanting to put an after-market boost gauge in my 82zxt....does anybody know if the factory boost gauge is used by the ecu ?..or can i just get rid of it?...should i go w/manual or electric..?......also....where would i hook up an air/fuel gauge?...I'm getting ready to inter-cool and boost it ....(a little).....any recommendations..?
..thanks,
schmaydee

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The stock boost gauge is not run or used by the ECCS. So yes you can get rid of it. :)
Boost controllers....That would all depend on how much you want to spend and how you would like to control it with accuracy.
Air/fuel.... that's another decision that's up to you. You could go with a EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge with a sensor in your exhaust manifold or use the other as you mentioned.

Donna

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....i was thinking about starting off w/just making an "adjustable" wastegate (cutting and threading it w/a coupling connecting the 2 pieces)..then an adjustable pop-off valve...in other words ...cheap....
i have just rebuilt the engine (stock),new turbo,new injectors,clutch,rack&pinion,struts&shocks,ball joints,breaks&rotors,tires,urethane bushings (all over the place) and have removed my old breather and replaced it w/a k&n.....
i was able to get a little volvo intercooler cheap...and figured i could use that to start with....(while i tried to figure out what i was doing)....right now i just would like to get my car running a little better than stock...but i would like to make it a little nicer..as long as i dont sacrifice any dependability.....(i'm not sure how much of the car will be left after i get rid of the rust..hehe)...
but i've heard that letting it go lean was very bad news....and that the a/f meters dont really work well....do you think the egt gauge might be more accurate?...(i'll have it all well calibrated once i have it all together)...but i was wanting "something" on the dash to warn me if i started to go lean.....(maybe thats what "pinging" is for..hehe).but i'd like to get the boost to 10-12 if it can be done well...and it gets me a substantial performance increase...
gratzi,
.....s

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
schmaydee, I don't know what volvo intercooler you have but most of the ones I've seen are way too small and actually would reduce your performance due to not enough flow. If I were you, I'd wait for the a better intercooler like a starion or NPR that way you only have to do the piping once. plumbing the intercooler correctly can cost a good chuck of money and you only want to have to do it once...unless you like wasting money. Also, as long as you get a good a/f ratio gauge like the one from autometer (which I have on my car) it will be accurate...the biggest thing to remember is that even tho you have plenty of fuel, the car can still ping or detonate. Fuel is only part of the equation...if things get too hot in your motor (or too hot of air coming in, you can still detonate. Thats where an exhaust gas temp gauge comes in. they're not cheap but I really suggest you getting one if you can. anyways, good luck, and happy boosting

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..thanks a lot for the info....
......i was thinking about getting an aftermarket cooling fan and shroud, and putting it between the i.c. and radiator (to cool them both and eliminate my stock fan) do you think that might make up for the size of the i.c...?...this thing is about 18"x16" (surface area) 1.5-2.0 in. thick w/about 2.5 in. ducts.....
...i really dont know anything about this....just kinda limping thru it as i go.......s

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Spork is right about the Volvo IC. I know it looks good but the flow rate isn't at all. I too picked one up but after learning more... it's sitting in a corner.
You can have your wastegate rod threaded on the ends to manually adjust your boost. Plus there's a way of turning your stock POP Off Valve into an adjustible one. That's one way of keeping the cost down. BUT NEVER go anything short of a GOOD flowing IC. :)
Halmeter's (sp?) run's you around $100. where the EGT goes around $250+
Some of us find that only our stock fan can really keep our motor cooled down. Tried then went back to the factory way.

Donna

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..oh well....live and learn....
[email protected] least it didnt cost a lot.....i guess i'll just back-off the intercooler for now....but i guess i can go ahead and do the other mods so they'll be ready when i get one....i have my dash out now...put a coverlay over it (looks pretty good)...while i have it out i think i'm gonna put in a good boost gauge and get a different speedo (mine just goes to 85)....and that oughtta hold me for a little while....thanks a lot for the info........it saved me a lot of time and trouble....s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.