ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '82 280ZX turbo, 130K. Twice now, the engine has quit running when it really shouldn't have - in the middle of a busy intersection and in the fast lane of the freeway. On both occasions it started again, but I can't drive it until I get this figured out. The electrical system seems to be working properly (other than the obvious), the lights stay on at full brightness, the radio still plays, but it's as if just the ignition system momentarily craps out. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like an ECM (the control module) problem, or should I be chasing the ignition wire from the steering column?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Doug,
Did the tachometer immediately drop to 0 when your car died on the freeway? I had a bad ECM on my 82 when I first bought it, and whenever it would die the tach would go straight to 0 even if the motor was still spinning from the momentum of the car forcing the motor to spin. As far as testing, I don't know of a hands on way of testing it because it's an annoying intermittant thing, I just replaced mine on faith that it was bad. Oh, by the way, if you do figure out that it's the ECM module, don't do what I did and put off replacing it. I got stuck at a busy intersection where I didn't want to sit and hold up traffic, so I just turned the starter on and dropped the clutch till the starter pulled my car out of the intersection, and then I had to buy a new starter a few months later. I must have ******* running through my veins, I guess.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing was happening with my 83 turbo. Would just suddenly quit, didn't matter what speed I was going, interstate or bumper to bumper. Would aways start back up, sometimes it would take a while (a pain when you are holding up traffic) Was hard to troubleshoot cause it wouldn't stay screwed up long enough. I changed the ignition and fuel pump relays with no luck. Last resort I changed the computer and havent had a problem since.

You might try getting some contact spray and cleaning the computer connections real good, that might help, but it could very possibly be your computer going out.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 83ZXT with 170K miles and it stated quitting and then starting back up and this progressively got worse( took longer between the starts) . Finally it would stop running , turnover but not start( no fire from the coil) for about 10 minutes after the shutown. I replaced the Disrributor( i know the 82's a liitle different) and the problem went away. The distributor was heating up and basicly not sending the computer a vaild timing/ firing signal.

good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> after the shutown. I replaced the
> Disrributor( i know the 82's a liitle
> different) and the problem went away. The
> distributor was heating up and basicly not
> sending the computer a vaild timing/ firing
> signal.

It's actually the ignition control module that's mounted on the distributor that was causing your problem.

I would definantely check that out, as they're known to go bad often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.