ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in the Z car for quite some time, it even was one of my dads dream cars. Now I have one, she's a little old but I have high hopes in bringing he backr looking and souning better than the usual "potato shooter sized muffler weedwacker sounding" civics thats running around here ;-) Plus I'm the only 17 y/o that will have a 280zx like her around here (hopefully)

I do have a few questions to ask the Guru's (and non guru's =) and I look forward in reading your opinons.

~ 1). I have na 82 280ZX turbo, and bellow the steering a few inches from my legs there are two levers/switches that has my courisity. One is a simple On and off Switch the other is an lever that has "Pull to Open". I couldn't figure it out. My only guess would be to turn on the turbo's but that would bring me to my second question.

2). Will the Turbo kick in automaticly is that what these switches are for?

3). Its also running rich. The gas fumes are really loud. Im getting the white smoke whenever I acclerate.

4) . My guess this has to do with Question 3 - but im getting gas in my oil somehow which is this light brown color a bit goldish, smells like gas. Im thinking this maybe. My spark plugs arent very old and they are coated with oil.

5). I have an Rusted exaust system, Would that cause any of the above (terrible gas smells, rich running)

6). Would any of the above symtpoms cause me to rebuild the engine, if so what price would I be looking at? I have money saved up but im not rich.. lol

7). Clunk. I've read a little about oh but to popular rear end clunks, but my Q is where is this "mustache bar"?

Thanks for reading my long thread. I was wondering if anyone in the houston area could recomend a shop? Thanks again

P.S This Z was given to me from a friend - I know your jealous =D, Also I can provide pictures even sound clips if that would aid you in any way.. I'd Like to have the same for any 280zx (79-83) or links

· Registered
225 Posts
As for the gas in the oil and the oil coated sparkplugs this will probably mean the rings are bad hence you will probably need to rebuild the engine.
The white smoke also indicates that the car is burning oil so again probably bad rings.
The exhaust smell that can be a number of causes the rusted out muffler being one of them but you should check your tailight seals shifter boot and other openings in the under side and rear of the car.
The lever under the dash is for some sort of air vent if i am not mistaken but positively not for the turbo. the other switch could possibly be a switch added by a previous owner such as a fog light switch maybe......
As for the prices to do a rebuild.. with no mods just a complete rebuild kit with flat top pistons and all of the gaskets including a full head job and other machine work I paid about $900.00
Hope this helps GOOD LUCK
-J-

G

·
Many times when someone reports a gas smell in the oil fuel pressure regulator may be malfunctioning. You will want to make sure it is working well and for as critical as it is you might want to put it on the list of things to replace. Replacing it is money well spent.

Also, if there is gas getting to the oil, it is thinning down the oil. You might want to change it so as to not damage the engine. Good luck. John

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I your 82ZXT has a automatic tran. the smoke may be caused by a bad Vac. modulater on the AT, mine was.
My first step in checking out a moter is a compresion test, should have 125+ on a T moter, 140+ on a na.
To check Vac-mod disconet vacline to tran. at intake manafold, let car run for at least 5min. to burn out aculamented oil in the exaust, if smoking stops, a cheap fix, a $17.50 part

Good luck Lee

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.. Thanks guys so much replying :) The first thing I'm going to do today is change the oil.. If I read the chart correct in the chilton guide I should replace it with 10w-40.

I'm hoping its the regulator also if not your right I need to replace it anyway. The book says something about checking the PCV valves.. I dont have any idea what that is or where it is.

Also its an 5speed. Thanks again, and im open for any other suggestions or tips you may have.

· Registered
301 Posts
Hello my friend and welcome to the wonderful world of Z-Cars, i also am 17, and i just purchased my 1982 280zx Turbo about 2 months ago.

The lever under the dash is for the floorvents,

The switch to the right of the steering column is the cruise control switch ( flip it on and cruise control will be on, press button inside the turn signal switch to start cruisin )

Yes the exhaust leak is prolly whats making those fumes...if you want my advice especially with a turbo...once you get your exhaust fixed...or if you can...make it free flow, it will add a few HP to yah. Also get it fixed as soon as possible, an exhaust leak for a turbo is bad.

As for the smoke, re-build the engine, do it yourself if you have the time and a book on it, its the only way to really learn your car. Well have fun, and if you need to know anything about the 82 ZXT, i'll prolly be able to tell you or find someone who does to feel free to e-mail me.

Matt

· Registered
4,289 Posts
Welcome aboard..Get a FSM...

Get a Factory Service Manual as soon as possible from:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/publications/280ZX.html

The cost of the manual will be saved by following the factory test procedures and not just changing parts to try and fix something that is not really broken.

You are going to need tools to work on your car. The first three are a Digital Volt Meter and a Fuel Pressure Gauge and a Vacuum Gauge.

The FPG is very easy to build for less than $20.00. If you need help on how to build one just ask.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its dying =(

Yes I would like to know how to build an FPG... Thanks so very much for the replies.. I didn't want to post anything until I did sometihng to the car.

Well I changed the oil and busted my butt to do so because some GREAT BRAIN put the drain bolt on with some super machine so it took me awhile but with a few bruises and strains I got it off :)

The oil has this brownish look and gassy smell.. Also I had to turn it on to put it on the ladder, and it seems oil is coming out off my muffler.. ** is she dying??**

I'm taking it to a shop soon but I want ideas on what I should do.. My guess is this isn't going to be an $500 job.. Does anyone have any clue what this could cost and what should I look for..

I heard about v8's getting stuffed in Z's, any vague idea how much that could cost? Im probably going to rebuild the engine but a guy I know says working on my engine is prob. more expensive than getting a 8 and dropping it in there.

What I've learned so far: Alot! lol.. But with all the questions I have had, I have to be careful whose answer I take, because there just people out there who like to talk about what they dont know anything about (Yes I had to find that out, a so called "mechanic") ~ The Z community is awesome :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.