ZCar Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

More context helps. Were these parts replaced before it was parked, or after?

And if before, why? If before, it sounds like the owner thought there was a fuel problem. Context is important.

Two years is a short enough time that the gas in the vehicle will probably still work, although it's really old.

I'm thinking that basic tests are to make sure it's getting fuel and spark. Spark is easy - charge the battery, turn the key to start, while it's turning over trying to start pull a plug wire at the distributor and hold it 1/2" from the cap. If you see spark, you have spark.
More context helps. Were these parts replaced before it was parked, or after?

And if before, why? If before, it sounds like the owner thought there was a fuel problem. Context is important.

Two years is a short enough time that the gas in the vehicle will probably still work, although it's really old.

I'm thinking that basic tests are to make sure it's getting fuel and spark. Spark is easy - charge the battery, turn the key to start, while it's turning over trying to start pull a plug wire at the distributor and hold it 1/2" from the cap. If you see spark, you have spark.
Well update since I haven't touched the car since in awhile since Covid has my workplace being busy busy.... I did the spark test since she wouldn't turn on like you suggested and no spark. I'm guessing the coil needs to be replaced

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Putting a see through fuel filter on an injected car is extremely dangerous. Under no circumstances should you EVER do that. The see through style are designed for carb'd engines that run 6 psi or less. The injected z runs between 28 psi and 36 psi. I've seen them produce 65 psi when the fuel pressure regulator sticks. To check for rust, pull the fuel filter and reverse flow it into a clean receptacle. That will tell you what condition the tank is usually in. ZMOW

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
Putting a see through fuel filter on an injected car is extremely dangerous. Under no circumstances should you EVER do that. The see through style are designed for carb'd engines that run 6 psi or less. The injected z runs between 28 psi and 36 psi. I've seen them produce 65 psi when the fuel pressure regulator sticks. To check for rust, pull the fuel filter and reverse flow it into a clean receptacle. That will tell you what condition the tank is usually in. ZMOW
My error!! I thought about the pressure issue but thought the clear filters would handle the pressure. I appreciate the correction.

Thanks for suggesting the reverse flow idea. That's very helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My error!! I thought about the pressure issue but thought the clear filters would handle the pressure. I appreciate the correction.

Thanks for suggesting the reverse flow idea. That's very helpful.
Thank God I didn't do the filter trick but, I changed the coil and still won't turn on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you very much. You just saved my ass

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
UPDATE

I bought a new coil and now I have a spark.
Unfortunately, the car still wont come to life...
Would it be a distributor problem? How could I check?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
UPDATE

I bought a new coil and now I have a spark.
Unfortunately, the car still wont come to life...
Would it be a distributor problem? How could I check?
If you have a spark at each plug, then assuming the distributor is timed correctly, the problem is gas or air...and air is very unlikely. Did you try a new fuel filter?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts