ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the z world and I'm excited to get this thing on the road but i have ran into a few problems. I bought a cheap set of 280zx cars. One is a 79 the other is the 82 i have questions about. I am trying to use the 2 to make one. So far I have cleaned the tank and red koted it, cleaned the fuel lines, replaced the fuel pump, relpaced all the fuel injectors because they were stuck closed. Fixed a few wiring issues and finally got it to start. The car did sit for a few years so i expected it to be a pain to get started but now the only way it will start is to hold the throttle wide open, but it doesnt act like it is full open, seems to be more of a high idle then after about a minute it dies. Hoping someone else has had the same problem and can help

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
945 Posts
Yes, sounds like some basic work with a multimeter checking functions of the ECU is in order.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Which one are you trying to start, the 79 or the 82 turbo? I think you mean the turbo. The turbo has a relatively advanced fuel injection system for the time and is a fair bit different than the 79. It's got a crank angle sensor in the distributor and the timing is all done electronically. Probably for you though, something is up with the throttle position sensor. Make sure all your contacts are good and clean. Get a copy of the factory service manual. Should be floating around on the web somewhere. Don't throw away your old injectors, they can probably be freed up with an ultrasonic cleaning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. So i have made progress but now im stumped again. There is some serious wiring issues so i have chosen to replace the ecu wiring harness with one i got from a salvage yard. In doing so i realized the ecu and harness was from a 78-79 model. So i am working on changing all that out. But i got stumped when i got to the plug for the distributor. They have replaced the distributor with a newer version but it doesnt hook to the ecu and there for ofcoarse can not communicate with it. So my question is do i need to go back with the older one that has the crank angle sensor or is there a way to make this one comunicate with the ecu?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
945 Posts
The turbo only works with the crank angle sensor. You need the right parts.

Also, is what you have for 1978 OR 1979? The two are not the same. The ZX series began in 1979 and some parts are not the same as 1978 models. I suspect you have the parts for a 280Z, not a 280ZX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The turbo only works with the crank angle sensor. You need the right parts.

Also, is what you have for 1978 OR 1979? The two are not the same. The ZX series began in 1979 and some parts are not the same as 1978 models. I suspect you have the parts for a 280Z, not a 280ZX.
Will the coil work with the other distributor?

·
Registered
184 Posts
You are going to chase your tail with that wiring. I have been doing it for 20 years with my wiring (81 Turbo). I’d suggest buying the Godzilla Motorworks plug and play Megasquirt ECU kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
945 Posts
Will the coil work with the other distributor?
I'm confused. You said in post #1 that you had a '79 and an '82. Your post doesn't say that either one is a turbo. Is one of them a turbo?

You haven't said which car you are trying to get started. Which one did you choose for the driver? And if it's a non-turbo, then as far as I know you can't use a turbo distributor.

You also haven't specified whether the parts you got are for a turbo or non-turbo. You may not know for sure.

You need a coil regardless of whether you're building a turbo or non-turbo. I don't know for sure but I doubt there is a difference between a correct turbo and non-turbo coil, so I assume they are interchangeable.

Please help us follow what you're doing with specifics about which car you're building and whether it's a turbo or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts