ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 280ZX [non turbo with 5 speed]that has a problem with dieing while I am just cruising around. The problem is getting much worse[ it died for the first time last summer while driving 70mph] Then it started dieing maybe one time a week or so. I thought it might be the temp sensor {by spark plugs} so I replaced it. The problem has now gotten much worse. It will now die in cold or hot weather sometimes as often as 8 or 9 times in a mile. It use to always start right back up, but now it sometimes takes 10 min of on and off cranking to get it started. I have put new plugs,wires, dist cap,fuel filter. The fuel pressure checks out. I don't kknow what to do next. Anyhelp would be appreciated. thanks Nor

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Try replacing the ICU unit mounted on the distributor. It will give you problems off and on till it goes out completely. Ron

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could certainly be the ignition module on the side of the distributor, which we sell used for $50.00. If that isn't the problem, we would credit you on whatever else you needed. Joe 1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you replace anything, be sure to check the electrical connections going to the distributor. There is a keyed electrical plug, that tends to get corroded on these cars. I had a problem very similar to yours, I would be driving a long and then DEAD AS A DOORNAIL, I got out a file and some contact cleaner, and scraped the connections until I saw CLEAN SHINY METAL, then I took a really small screwdriver and bent the electrical connections in the cable so they hold more secure. The next thing to check from there is the ground wire comming out of the EFI harness it will ground the EFI system to the Intake Manifold. If that looses connection, or is dirty that will also cause that problem. Clean the connections there till they shine. These 2 trials will not cost you a thing, if you still have problems from there, the point module on the side of the cap is certianly a good next step. The next thing is check the connections going to the coil, make sure they are not corroded, make sure they shine as well. I would say next check the coil, but usualy when coils go bad, they make the car run like **** and lack power, doesn't sound like your problem. But it definatly sounds electrical to me. When it dies it is as simple as it runs or it doesn't? Or does it run really bad for a while first or? If you live in the LA area, I am in Van Nuys, and have an extra point module you could borrow to test the problem if you like.

Scott Milella.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.