Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuild my 82 turbo.....

I did all the work myself, I had the block professionaly honed and I installed hastings chrome piston rings.

if I go down a hill in a low gear (engine brakes) and then floor it after, I get a puff of blue...

what happened? it's acting the EXACT same way it did BEFORE The rebuild

the head is also done aswell (new valve guides, new valve seats, 3 angle valve grind)

When it doesn't burn oil: when you first start it up, when you rev the motor

When it DOES burn oil: when you rev if after it's been idleing for awhile and when you give it gas after alot of engine brakes (vacume in the intake and in the cylinders)

this leads me to believe it's the rings... BUT.. they are BRAND new!

and I've put about 1000 miles on them and they havn't gotten any better.

I'm wondering if it could be either the turbo or the PCV..

when I had the turbo out, I could feel some lateral play on the turbine.... but just a little bit... could this be the problem?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: 82 280 turbo acting like rings are gone right

How many miles on the rebuild? You have a new engine and the rings need to seat and wear in , give it a chance. It may take a few thousand miles to break in. You can expect the engine to use oil untill this happends, so have patients and its best to keep the REVs down for the first 1000 miles. Gary Portland Ore

·
Registered
517 Posts
Could be the turbo

I had this EXACT same problem with the puff of smoke on a car I recently turbocharged. Look at the inside of the tubes going into and coming out of the turbine compressor. If there's considerably more oil on the discharge side of the compressor housing, then your oil seal(s) and bearings could be shot.

Also, make sure your oil return line is unobstructed and not pinched or collapsed(like mine was). Even if your turbine oil seals are fine, they won't be if that oil doesn't have a place to go! I learned the hard way.

When you're engine braking, you're pulling lots of vacuum, which tries to suck oil past the turbine seal. Additionally, your oil pressure is higher with higher RPM, which pushes oil out the seal as well. When you punch it after engine braking, all of that oil that probably puddled up gets sucked into the engine and poof, a cloud of smoke.

Sounds like you need a turbo rebuild. I bought a kit from Turbonetics to rebuild my turbo, but in hindsight, it's better to have them do it. Those C-clips were not fun!!
Nathan

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: 82 280 turbo acting like rings are gone right

It can also be the valve seals/guides.

Idling and costdown are high vacuum conditions that will suck in the oil. Especially curing costdown, the engine is not burning any gas, so the oil just stays in the combustion chamber, until you get it on again and burns.

You probabaly don't notice the small amount of oil burning at idle (not much volume), but when you get it on after idle, a lot more gas/oxygen being processed and pushed out causes the cloud of blue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.