ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently put a ZXT back in service after a 10 year rest period. It was a long hard road, but it is now doing well after resolving the AFM gremlin problem. The question is this: The car does not take gas very well when filling up at the station (not in California, either). Varying the depth of the nozzle does help a bit, but you definitely cannot just stick the nozzle in and use the fuel flow notches on the nozzle while you wait. You have to baby the nozzle trigger on varying degrees of very slow fill. Is this a common problem with the late 70's early 80's ZX models, or is there something that I can do to speed up the filling of the tank?

·
Registered
613 Posts
me Too

yep my 81 280zx suffers from the same problem, i dunno, I'm guessing it might be common, but i have learned to live with it, i just usually fill only up to a half tank lol. Ihope there is an answer.

-Emir

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: me Too

look at the fuel filler neck where it comes off of the tank and goes up to the fender
sometimes a tire can kick up a rock and dent it .

·
Registered
301 Posts

Yah its a Pain in the @$$ for me too, all you gotta do, at least its worked for me, is turn the pump to the side and push it in as far as possible, it works well for me anyway.

Matt

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clarification

I should add that the problem is that the automatic feature on the pump nozzles keeps cutting off the fuel flow into the tank unless you go really slow. Perhaps has something to do with this car being pre-leaded and, therefore, has the large opening in the filler tube? Am seeing that this is not an uncommon problem...any solutions, or just put up with it?

·
Registered
34 Posts

does it only do this when the engine is hot or not. I do know that my motorhome, after a long drive and everything is hot, it takes a half hour to fill it up, because the pump keeps stopping. I think that something under there or maybe the filler tube gets constricted when hot, thus slowing the fuel fill.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Posibility??

Could this have something to do with the vent?? If there's not enough air getting out, not much is going to get in. Just a thought.

Dylan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Posibility??

hey guys it is the vent pipe or hose on the filler that is the culprit. it either has a leak or is partcially clogged remove and replace the hose part if not that then it is in the tank part by the filler inlet. good luck leo 80zx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.