ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to fix this problem and am getting nowhere. It runs smooth at idle, but up the RPM is misses badly and backfires through the intake area, can't go above 3,000 rpm when driving but can wick the throttle at a stand still to get the rpm's up to 5,000. I have a new fuel pump, filter and have good pressure 44lbs. It really runs bad when you try to obtain boost, it just won't run unless your going down hill and ease the throttle. I have checked the injectors, compression, plugs, vacuum (no leaks) timing is good. I have no clue. Pulled the muffler and cat and no change. Ignition doesn't show any problems on the scope. It does however smell rich when I drive it down the road, but the consensus seems to be a lean condition? I can hear the turbo spool up when I accelerate and it does show boost but no power like it's running out of air or gas? Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
i recently had a similar problem with my 81 280zxt. Unplugging and replugging the connections to the ECU several times solved the problem and the car has been running fine since. Look for corroded pins and clean the connectors with a good electronic cleaner. Be careful not to bend any pins though!!

Good luck,
Phil

· Registered
103 Posts
Do a search on "Air Flow Meter". Often it is the cause of lean and/or rich conditions. Also, might want to check my posts about how a repair of the AFM on my '81 ZXT solved a very similar problem. Search back at least 3 months on my posts.

· Registered
5,829 Posts
Check all of the connections in the engine compartment. Good chances they are making bad contact. That includes the AFM, O2, Cylinder head temp, all of the injectors(you can use a screw driver to listen if ecah one is firing) and last but not least the TPS (you can check that by pluging and pluging it in, you will hear the injectors start running dofferent when you unplug the TPS at idle.)
hope that helps, and the last thing you can do is to get a multi meter, monitir the O2 sensor and that will tell you exactly what the air/fuel mixture is doing.

· Registered
185 Posts
I gotta agree with beachster....

FIRST check those connectors to the ECU, especially the bottom one that fires the Injectors. My car started doing very similar freekiness, after I replaced the Fuel Pump and in tank strainer, it was still doing it.

I scratched my head for a minute and a Light came on !! Wiggled that connector on the ECU and Bingo... it went away ! I got some good contact cleaner and about once a month I pull it and spray it good.

It MAY not be your prob, but it's too easy to check to not to.

enjoy the ride

· Registered
201 Posts
Mine did the same thing until I re-plugged the ECU connectors, used tuner cleaner, etc. But, after two years of doing this repeatedly, it would not recover anymore. The cure was to pull the cover off the ECU and re-solder the connectors on the board. The connector pins are not necesserly bad. Re-plugging them temperarly makes the 20 year old soldered connections work for a while. Soldering them is the permanent cure. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.