ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told by several used parts sources that my original ecu can be replaced by ANY ecu from the same model year and the numbers don't have to match....anybody know for sure???

·
Registered
529 Posts
All of the ecu's for turbo automatics are the same. Likewise all of the turbo manual ecu's are the same. There were some revisions in '82 to the fi system, but a later ecu should work in an earlier car. However, I have found that you can't use an ecu from an auto in a manual (This applies to turbo's only). As far as the earlier models, any ecu from a Z will work in any other Z. This is not true for the na ZX's. There was a revision in 80 or '81 to inculde an O2 sensor. These are all the same. To make a long story short, you can interchange:
Any ecu '75 to about '80
Any ecu from '81-'83 (NA)
Any ecu from '81-'83 (turbo auto)
Any ecu from '82'83 (turbo manual)

> I've been told by several used parts sources
> that my original ecu can be replaced by ANY
> ecu from the same model year and the numbers
> don't have to match....anybody know for
> sure???

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oddly enough

the computer on my 83 Turbo 5 speed went out about a 2 years ago. I just so happened to have a 83 turbo automatic parts car sitting in the back yard so I swapped computers thinking what the heck. Have not had a problem since, seems to run the same as it ever did. Maybe this was a freak, isolated case but I sure was glad I didnt have to spend any money on a remfg. one.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I've been told by several used parts sources
> that my original ecu can be replaced by ANY
> ecu from the same model year and the numbers
> don't have to match....anybody know for
> sure???
Although many ecu's may make your car run, it probably won't run correct, with a different number. 81 turbo's used A18000040 for federal, and A18000041 for california. Let me know which you have, and I'll get you the correct one. I think our hollander interchange shows, 81, and 82 on the turbo, but we try to stick with our Nissan factory records, to insure emmissions, as well as performance. Joe 1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> All of the ecu's for turbo automatics are
> the same. Likewise all of the turbo manual
> ecu's are the same. There were some
> revisions in '82 to the fi system, but a
> later ecu should work in an earlier car.
> However, I have found that you can't use an
> ecu from an auto in a manual (This applies
> to turbo's only). As far as the earlier
> models, any ecu from a Z will
> work in any other Z. This is not
> true for the na ZX's. There was
> a revision in 80 or '81 to inculde an O2
> sensor. These are all the same. To make a
> long story short, you can interchange:
> Any ecu '75 to about '80
> Any ecu from '81-'83 (NA)
> Any ecu from '81-'83 (turbo auto)
> Any ecu from '82'83 (turbo manual)

I actually am transplanting and 81zxt auto motor into my 78 5 speed . I am keeping my old 5 speed, and hooking it took the ZXT motor . I have gone through the wiring diagram carfully, the A/T has a neutral safety switch that goes to ECU . That is the only diffeerence I could find . I have not done the install yet but this is likely power or ground that allows the car to start . The ecu does not controll anything on the A/T like the new cars so it should work .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CLINT!!!!!

Please share you info on how you did the swap. I have a '78 280Z and a 82ZXT motor in my garage being rebuilt. I have the harness out of the ZX, but no ECU, I also have the Saab APC and some Bosch BOV's and other goodies I might have to trade, I will also look for a intercooler for you this weekend. Q me for more info on the APC system. This is a very cool setup. I will be posting a page on it soon. Also do you have any pictures of your installation? I would like to use them as reference for my install. Anyway, I have a Bulletproof anti-knock setup that will push the boost to @18psi and keep it there without ping. I can give you more info if you like.

Bean Bandit

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well Guys I hate to say it but if it works for a while it works for a while. The thing with the ZX Turbo models is that they do require specific ECU's for each of the applications. The reason that the two brains need to be difference is the shifting. The Automatic Turbo Brain allows for optimum boost(HA-HA--what the factory sets) when the Trans shifts from 1st to 2nd and so forth. The Manual Tranny brain allows for the eratic shifts in boost while engaging the clutch for shifts. I know they built enough safeguards in the motor for this not to happen, but when goof balls like myself decide to turn up the boost you never will know what might happen with the wrong brain. Even very expensive systems like the TECII/SDS/Haltech use a system in which it measures the Boost pressure within the manifold along with Crank triggers to calculate specific fuel requirements. These systems alter themselve rapidly for all motor changes including the engage of the clutch. Get the right brain and save yourself headaches in the future.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> Well Guys I hate to say it but if it works
> for a while it works for a while. The thing
> with the ZX Turbo models is that they do
> require specific ECU's for each of the
> applications. The reason that the two brains
> need to be difference is the shifting. The
> Automatic Turbo Brain allows for optimum
> boost(HA-HA--what the factory sets) when the
> Trans shifts from 1st to 2nd and so forth.
> The Manual Tranny brain allows for the
> eratic shifts in boost while engaging the
> clutch for shifts. I know they built enough
> safeguards in the motor for this not to
> happen, but when goof balls like myself
> decide to turn up the boost you never will
> know what might happen with the wrong brain.
> Even very expensive systems like the
> TECII/SDS/Haltech use a system in which it
> measures the Boost pressure within the
> manifold along with Crank triggers to
> calculate specific fuel requirements. These
> systems alter themselve rapidly for all
> motor changes including the engage of the
> clutch. Get the right brain and save
> yourself headaches in the future.

I have not done the conversion yet but the ecu does not controll the boost at all . It is not like the new systems, it may alter timing curve, injector duty cycle . That is about the only thing this ECU can do . I will look at wiring diagram again to see where the wire from ECU to A/T goes .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
> CLINT!!!!!

> Please share you info on how you did the
> swap. I have a '78 280Z and a 82ZXT motor in
> my garage being rebuilt. I have the harness
> out of the ZX, but no ECU, I also have the
> Saab APC and some Bosch BOV's and other
> goodies I might have to trade, I will also
> look for a intercooler for you this weekend.
> Q me for more info on the APC system. This
> is a very cool setup. I will be posting a
> page on it soon. Also do you have any
> pictures of your installation? I would like
> to use them as reference for my install.
> Anyway, I have a Bulletproof anti-knock
> setup that will push the boost to @18psi and
> keep it there without ping. I can give you
> more info if you like.

> Bean Bandit

I have not yet done the swap so I am not going to put the chicken before the egg . The installation will probably take place when I get off my ass or in the spring some time . I will burn a roll or two of film of the important stuff . I try to be fairly accurate and clear . Anyway I like to here about APC system and anti-knock sensor, key is reduce timing, increase fuel, reduce chamber temp.

·
Registered
85 Posts
> I have not done the conversion yet but the
> ecu does not controll the boost at all . It
> is not like the new systems, it may alter
> timing curve, injector duty cycle . That is
> about the only thing this ECU can do . I
> will look at wiring diagram again to see
> where the wire from ECU to A/T goes .

You are one hundred percent right in that the ecu does not control the boost. The ecu measures the boost levels plus the crank positioning to alter the timing and fuel curves. Yes, I have looked at the wiring diagrams for the ecu. Not much to say since Haynes left out a whole bunch of stuff anyways. The one thing that I do know is that they need to be different and even Motorsport says so. If you believe what they have to say great if not oh well. Just let me know which brain you use and if it works when you get your car up and running.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Re: 81 will not fit 82-83,

81 turbo zx ecu is different from 82-83

the 81 ecu uses an a full connection harness
the 82-83 uses a revised harness that will not fit an 81,

82-83 whether it be automatic or manual will
interchange number does not matter.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 81 will not fit 82-83,

> 81 turbo zx ecu is different from 82-83

> the 81 ecu uses an a full connection harness
> the 82-83 uses a revised harness that will
> not fit an 81,

> 82-83 whether it be automatic or manual will
> interchange number does not matter.
while we have got cars in with 300zx nonturbo brains in turbo cars, that seemed to run ok, and automatic, and stick brains reversed, we have also had desperate customers that plugged in wrong brains that were tested good, and their car ran terrible. We recently had a shop with a california brain, and they insisted on trying a federal brain that was good, and it ran terrible. We located them the right california brain and it purred again.
Nissan did make an interchange chart, which we have, and it definitely specifies, auto, manual,
federal, canada, and california.
If anyone is unsure of the correct brain for there car, we could probably help with the number.
It may have been changed to an incorrect number at one time, because of price, or availability, etc. Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.