ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the whole setup to do a rear disc brake swap on a 71 240z using 81zx parts. Any advantage to using a 82 or later setup instead? The later ones look to be a smaller package. Will the rotors interchange? Getting the brackets isn't a problem, thanks to Scottie.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
482 Posts
'81+ has different offset rotor...

The '79-81 rotor is HIGHLY offset, and won't work. The rotor you want is the 82-83 rotor. It will fit with the Maxima Bracket and 82-83 calipers. I recommend buying new rotors, as these are not that expensive.

I'm in the process of doing this install myself. I originally had the straight maxima bracket, and knew it wouldn't bolt up. I was going to make some kind of spacer, and open up the id a little. However, I did find out about the '84 only bracket, the one Scottie used, and it seems like it is a direct bolt on replacement, and solves all caliper centering problems. I already purchased a set of these brackets a few months ago, and should proceed with the install in a couple weeks. Keep us informed as to how it goes. This setup looks much cleaner and more effective than the JCR setup or something similar. Not to mention cheaper.

Dave

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: cheaper is the key....

...When I did the JCR kit install I spent almost $800 just to get all the parts for the 81 and it took a weekend to install. I don't think they are all that hot either....

I might go with wilwoods oonce I put antique plates on the car.... Get rid of the E-brake cable and go four piston, or maybe use the Toyota calipers on the rear as well....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Caliper differences?

Are the calipers very different between the early and late setups? If so, is it just the bolt locations or is it an entirely different setup?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.