ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here' the poop, I have a very nice 83 turbo 5spd t-top auto-cc etc. it needs a turbo.
I also have a red 10th anni auto car that needs speedo,heatercore or control valve, and tramission (reverse is out)
On Ebay I bought a 1981 turbo t-top auto, auto-cc, car green exterior, tan interior leather, its been setting for many years? the owner was carted off to jail and never picked it up. I am in the car for a total of 600.00
In order for it to run It would appear to need a battery and radiator (dont know exactly) tranny oil looks and smells great, turbo spools freely no free play (looks new) the car has 180k+ miles Honey comb rims all there looks nice missing 3 center caps.

Car is filthy! Dust on everything! Cracked hoses, gas tank smells like bad paint, Paint is ruff but livable.. ripe for an Earl Schibe paint job.

I originally bought it for a parts car but after looking at it closer, it looks like it could be made a driver... problem is I just dont know.

10th anni car is being restored. The 83 I want to make it a fast car... like my 16yo son says "Dads reliving his glory days with the fast and furious crowd" Any how what would you do?
Money is not an issue.. but it is, I dont wanna get stupid and start pissing it away on a hopeless cause.

· Registered
5,498 Posts
I've got a 78 Z that I've taken apart to restore. I'm thinking about changing it to Turbo. I've got the drive train but need everything outside the drive train. Let me know if you would consider parting it out.

· Registered
171 Posts
It all comes down to rust

For me, the condition of the chassis is the main factor when deciding whether to fix the car or not. If the chassis is solid or has very little rust then it's worth putting the car back on the road if only to save another classic car from destruction. There are so many 280zx cars out there that simply need to be retired because of rust but the owners simply can't let them go. Better to save the good ones and part out the bad.

· Registered
153 Posts
Re: It all comes down to rust

CHOOSE YOR RESTORATION CAREFULLY... Sounds simple doesn't it. I restored a car that should have been parted out. I am now into it to the tune of $38,000. The problem is -- when you get knee deep into a restoration -- there is no place to stop. Everytime you turn around it's $300 here and $400 there.

You have to disassemble the car to restore it -- why don't you deceide AFTER you take it apart so you can really see what kind of shape it is.

Like the previous post said, if the body is solid - Someone should restore it. If I had a place to keep the cars, I would buy a few cars, soda blast the bodies to look for rust, prime paint them and put them up. Good insurance in case you have a wreck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.