ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and got some kenwoods 4" speakers to replace the stock ones in my ZX I replaced the right one that one was easy but it looks like I have to take the whole dash out to get to the left one thats in the middle of the dash whats to best and most easy way to do the job?

Jeff 81ZXT

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: I don't think I have a middle speaker. n/c

what I mean by middle is the middle of the dash well maybe alittle to the left
the FR speaker is all the way to the right of the dash and the FL speaker is more in the middle
then the back speakers are behind the seats

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: `81 how to get to the middle speaker in the da

You should be able to get to it if you remove your middle air vents & the glove box. I just had mine out the other day to put a new heater core in. When I had it out, I could have easily replaced that speaker.

Remove, the front plate for the vents & then pull out the black housing that wraps around your vents. It has 2 screws holding it to the underside of the dash.

This should help
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

You have to pull the dash. About a 3 hour ordeal. Be careful of A pillar plastic. You don't have to pull the A pillar panels, but if you don't it is very easy to scratch them when going back in with the dash. Also, make sure your speakers have 0" extrusion on the top, or they won't fit.
My recommendation - put em in the doors.

The dash isn't that hard to get out. 6 screws, I think.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

IMO, the best way to replace that speaker is to take out the dash. I have done it a couple of times to change speakers and to repair a/c controls. It isn't that difficult. It just takes a lot of patience.. Start by removing the steering wheel, that all the lower trim panels. You won't have to disconnect any electrical as the loom for the whole dash comes in from the right. Its also easiest if you remove the glove box first too. Give yourself a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

both speakers are stock and of corse the one thats hard to get to is the bad one ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.