Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! my rearend is on the way out!

Since I bought my Zx in 1993, I knew my rearend had some extra play. Now it seems that it is about totally gone. I have changed my driveshaft, etc. so I know that it must be the rearend. I know that I have an R-200, and I think I have a 3.90 gearing (please correct me if I am wrong). The production date is 1/81. Since it needs changing anyway, I want to put a limited-slip differential in. I hear that the 89' 300zx turbo has an R-200, LSD, but
I don't know the gearing. Is that true? Will it simply bolt up to my existing axles and driveshaft?

If that is incorrect, what year car can I get an R-200 with a 3.90 gearing LSD off of?

Any help would be appreciated!

THANKS!!!
RYAN

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
> If that is incorrect, what year car can I
> get an R-200 with a 3.90 gearing LSD off of?

> Any help would be appreciated!

> THANKS!!!
> RYAN

Most 87 and all 88,89 300zx turbos came with limited slip. Can be identified by the finned rear cover. You will recognize it when you see it. Only the turbo cars for that year came with a limited slip from the factory, don't believe what others will try to tell you. I recommend buying one from a junkyard. Be prepared to search, use some of the internet locating services as well. You can find them for as low as 250 if you are willing to search. 350 to 450 is a more common price. Don't pay more than 400 for one, no matter what. Back when I was searching for one I bought three for 250 a piece within a span of four months. I located about two others for more money (350 and 400). The others I found were ridiculously priced (600 and up). Be very careful buying from individuals you don't know. Many people think they have LSD rears and don't know any better. Stick with a salvage yard if possible and use a credit card if you can. That way the card company will fight for you if the deal turns up bogus. Good luck.
greg
71 240z

P.S.: Beware of the all white 88se turbo model. It did have a lsd, but it uses a different style of halfshaft than all others. It will also have a sticker by the filler hole that says viscous lsd. Stay far away from it, it is real expensive to make work in an earlier z car.

P.S.S. To replace your r200 rear with a limited slip is as easy as replacing the finned cover with your flat cover and replacing the front flange. The finned cover won't clear the stock mounting points, and the lsd flange has a different bolt pattern. Other than that it is a straight swap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.