ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Happy ThanxzGiving! Hope everyone had a nice holiday. My question is, can you remove the pistons from the block by just removing the oil pan, and loosening the bolts on connecting rods to the crankshaft journal, without removing the crankshaft? Say if you just needed to re-ring your pistons, or put in matched lightweight pistons? (although I guess you wouldn't put in lightweight pistons without also putting in a lightweight crank, so I guess it wouldn't matter...) Also, has anyone ever completely rebuilt their engine without taking it out of the car? How possible is this? Is the intake manifold very difficult to remove? Thanx in adv. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
> Hey all, Happy ThanxzGiving! Hope everyone
> had a nice holiday. My question is, can you
> remove the pistons from the block by just
> removing the oil pan, and loosening the
> bolts on connecting rods to the crankshaft
> journal, without removing the crankshaft?
> Say if you just needed to re-ring your
> pistons, or put in matched lightweight
> pistons? (although I guess you wouldn't put
> in lightweight pistons without also putting
> in a lightweight crank, so I guess it
> wouldn't matter...) Also, has anyone ever
> completely rebuilt their engine without
> taking it out of the car? How possible is
> this? Is the intake manifold very difficult
> to remove? Thanx in adv. :)

Yes , you don't have to remove the crank but I suggest that if you are re-ringing , you should also put in new Crank and Rod bearings. The intake manifold is pretty simple to remove. You will also need to remove the exhaust manifold and head. Might as well do a complete rebuild. Do the rings , bearings and get a new timing set. Also get a complete engine gasket set. you can get all this for around $200. Call around. I know I juust rebuilt another engine. I have heard of ppeople doing this with the engine in the car but never done it myself. I have rebuilt 3 datsun motors but all were taken out. I have done a lot of work ( head, intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan and etc. While the motor is in the car). So I don't see why you couldn't do a complete rebuild with the block still in. Hope this helps. If you have any more ?'s feel free to E-Mail me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.