ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I looked through the FSM and can't seem to find the information I am looking for, also tried the search function on here and google but couldn't find the information I was looking for.

The 280zx I have been working on has been sitting since 2004 with about 1/4 tank of gas in it. It has 100% gone bad at this point so I need to remove all the gas, clean out the lines and start fresh.

In the FSM it shows a process for bringing the fuel pressure to 0, by removing fuel pump relay 2 while running or removing it and cranking the car 5 times to clear out the pressure. However, I do not seem to have the same relay as shown in the FSM, there is a blank spot and a single relay where the 2-headed relay for the fuel pump is supposed to go.

Also, I would prefer not to pump what is in the lines into the engine, as that gas is bad too.

What are my options for clearing the fuel system without using this process?

As far as I could tell there wasn't a drain plug on the tank, and there seems to be only 2 bolts holding the up, near the front of the tank, I am hesitant however to remove the 3 hoses attached to top of the tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
With the car sitting since 04, it's pretty much guaranteed your fuel pressure is at 0. No need to remove the fuel pump relay. There's an access panel in the rear hatch to get at the lines on top of the tank. While my 1980 was stored in a garage all its life, I still have a lot of 40+ year old rubber hoses on that car. I've had good luck with getting a pick under the rubber hose, and working my way around the fitting. I can then usually remove the rubber line without any drama.

Also, 5/16" fuel injection rated hose isn't very expensive and you'd only need a few feet of hose for the rear of the car anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts