Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my 79z painted and when I got it
it didnt have any molding on the doors and sides
(to protect it from other doors messing up the
paint)...I have looked around and am having trouble finding it at any local stores/shops. I
was wondering if anyone knows where I might be
able to order some or find any.
Thanks for any ideas!

Mike

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I recently got my 79z painted and when I got
> it
> it didnt have any molding on the doors and
> sides
> (to protect it from other doors messing up
> the
> paint)...I have looked around and am having
> trouble finding it at any local
> stores/shops. I
> was wondering if anyone knows where I might
> be
> able to order some or find any.
> Thanks for any ideas!

> Mike
Body side moulding was not a stock Datsun item on the early Z's. In the 70's the dealers added lots of accessories to increase the selling price of the Zcars. One of those accessories was side moulding. It consisted of an aluminum extrusion that was attached to the body with small flat head screws and then a vinyl insert covered the screws. Apparently the screw holes invited rust, so this screwed on application was discontinued. . However, most any wholesale auto body and auto paint supply company has an alternative that simply attraches with adhesive. The major chain auto parts stores also have some generic trim kits. When I restored my 77 280, I had the screw on trim and finally found a source in Southern California that had the replacement vinyl that matches the original in shape and color. I polished up the old extrusion and inserted new vinyl. Just like the original.

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the fiberglass rocker panel kit that I hope to order attaches high enough to cover up the holes, I'll be parting with the side molding on my 82 zx, which may fit yours. Maybe we can do a trade. I'll keep your address just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.