ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1979 Datsun 280zx this past week. It seems in fairly good condition, except for one thing. The pin in the rear differential is busted. Seeing as they're seemingly impossible to buy, including at local junkyards, I hope to get the dimensions and have a metal shop make me a replacement.

If anyone knows the specifications or where I can find them, please respond, either here or at my email. Thank you.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm not sure what pin you're referring to. In any case, 280ZX's are plentiful in junkyards and you should have no trouble locating a complete differential in good shape. They don't go bad that often unless you're drag racing, have a really souped up motor, or let the thing run dry.

You could also take the opportunity to put in a diff with a higher ratio for more torque off the line if you wish. The 81-83 5-speed ZX's came with a 3.9 diff, for example.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pin I need is approximately 3-5 inches long and holds the "Spider Gears" (?) in place within the differential. If you can take one out for me, I'd be glad to pay you for it. Just let me know. Thank you.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right, my mechanic friend (who seems to work on a need-to-know basis) now informs me that I need the "differential case" as well as the pinion shaft, as mine is practically worn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.