I have a blue 79ZX 62,000 miles. Rust free (Really!) All stock, all complete. Excellent conditon. Does need paint job/head liner repair. The original is faded on the edges. Every thing works. Has antient T/A Radials from 79-80 on it in excellent condition.
I have a '79 280ZXR (the silver w/ blue and black decals, and the famous whale tail) but I don't use the whail tail cause I think it's hideous looking, and also it creates something like 350lbs of downforce at 100mph, and without something similar in the front, the car is very unbalanced.
Anyhow, I live in Santa Cruz, CA, and have only recently rebuilt the motor.
Long block was built by Rebello Racing:
- 9.8:1 comp
- P90 head -- ported/polished
- performance cam (streetable barely enough to pass smog =P)
- perf. valve springs
- 240Z conrods (3L stroked)
- turbo oil pump
Then I put it all back together with:
- new disty
- 60MM throttle body (port matched to the intake)
- new AFM (cause the old one was THRASHED)
- NGK plugs
- Racing plug wires from MSA (don't remember the brand)
- Centerforce II clutch, braded steele clutch line
HEY THUNDER I JUST PICKED UP A '79 280 ZXR ALSO AND I'M IN THE PROCESS OF RESTORING IT. HOW FAST IS YOURS????? I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO DO THE STROKER MOTOR (3.1). ANY ADVISE OR TIPS ON THINGS TO DO OR AVOID???? WHAT BOLT-ONS WERE WORTH YOUR MONEY AND WHAT WERE WORTH @!#$????? ANYTHING YOU WOULD DO OVER AGAIN OR IS THIS THE IDEAL SETUP??? SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS...... THANKS FOR THE HELP