ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '79 280ZX for about 8 months now; never driven another Z so I just wanted to run a few things by other drivers to see if they are normal and/or problems I should take care of.
First off, I get about 19mpg overall, which doesnt seem very good to me; if this is normal for this model though, not much to do about it.
Secondly, the car doesnt seem to accelerate too quickly before ~2500rpms, kind of like turbo lag without the turbo. I would like to speed it up a bit if possible...
Third, my temperature gauge normally runs very close to the right side (high temp), but my mechanic swears that the gauge is broken and the engine doesnt run hot at all...if this is in fact true, would it affect the computer at all?
Finally, I noticed a vaccuum diaphragm on the throttle body (I think it could be the dash pot) that had nothing attached to the vaccuum inlet...I couldnt find anything to plug into it either. Why's it there?

I know this is a rather odd assortment of things to address, but I figured Id get it all out there and let you all take a gander at any or all of them if you so desire. Thanks so mcuh to anyone who can put forth their advice.

-JB

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
John,
Your mileage doesn't seem bad. I had a brand new Toyota w/v-6 that was rated for 17 mpg.. Never checked my Mileage so who knows. Your acceleration sounds okay, I don't get much power until hitting the higher rpm's. If you think your temp. sensor isn't working, try turning on the heater to see if it brings the temp down, my gauge is normally dead center when the engine is warm. The vacuum line I'll have to leave to someone else....... Hope this helps some

Tom

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Ihave a 79 280zx and it had the turbo lag type problem.I just yesterday found my problem with the distributor.Look inside the distributor beside the vacuum advance plate.If you see what looks like ball bearings loose replace the distributor.I could not believe the power off the line increase .It was well wrth the $150 price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.