ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just started doing this without any warning; whenever I'm in 5th gear and either put my foot into it or climb a grade, the tranny jumps out of gear. I've tried holding it in place and it feels like something is pushing it out of gear, rather than it slipping. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> My car just started doing this without any
> warning; whenever I'm in 5th gear and either
> put my foot into it or climb a grade, the
> tranny jumps out of gear. I've tried holding
> it in place and it feels like something is
> pushing it out of gear, rather than it
> slipping. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated. Thanks!

Well, now it's worse... I can't even shift it into 5th gear. I had this problem with an '85 300ZX a couple of years ago, and it was a shift fork problem. I don't want to put this thing in reverse and find out the hard way. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Well, now it's worse... I can't even shift
> it into 5th gear. I had this problem with an
> '85 300ZX a couple of years ago, and it was
> a shift fork problem. I don't want to put
> this thing in reverse and find out the hard
> way. Am I on the right track?

My Datsun 210 did this, and I just drove it that way. It eventually siezed up. When I pulled it out, the input and output shafts would not turn at all and the transmission oil was black. Did you check the transmission oil level and condition?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> My Datsun 210 did this, and I just drove it
> that way. It eventually siezed up. When I
> pulled it out, the input and output shafts
> would not turn at all and the transmission
> oil was black. Did you check the
> transmission oil level and condition?

Yeah, I checked that and everything else I could, short of pulling the tranny and cracking it open. The oil level is just barely below the hole, and the fluid looks fine. Thanks for your response... looks like I'll be pulling the tranny soon...

·
Registered
18 Posts
> I'll be pulling the tranny soon...
Bill sounds like the bearings on the counter shaft are shot. Even money says the bearing cage is broken and when you split the case and start to tear it down the bearings will come bouncing out. This is usually caused by driving around in 5th gear at low RPMs and putting a heavy load on the trans. by exceleration. Fairly common problem in most high mileage cars with overdrive. Good luck with the next 100K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.