ZCar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280zx auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 79' automatic non turbo 280zx, the car starts and idles fine but when you start driving it slowly starts getting more and more lethargic and has a hard time getting up to speed than eventually loses all power and the fuel pressure hits zero,Then when you go to start it up again it runs perfect and has no hesitation for a minute or two than it happens again.
It has a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator from the previous owner, my guess is they were trying to troubleshoot the problem.
I think this is what it is
It may have a second hand fuel pump but I'm not sure.
I've been looking through the service manual and haven't found anything that seems of use.
I checked the strainer in the fuel tank it was fine. I also replaced the fuel filter, the gas in the filter was pretty dirty.
I've cleaned most of the electrical connections under the hood.
The previous owner let it sit for a while, i don't know how long but possibly up to a year.
Right now i don't know what could be wrong, my grandpa who bought the car has been a mechanic for most his life has no clue what the problem is so I'm open for any suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
1979 280zx auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah i guess no one gives a **** but i can at least try to help anyone going through similar problems, the fuel pressure regulator needed adjusted i made the assumption that the previous owner was competent when he put it in. apparently not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts