ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This woman I know say she's had her stock '79 280 Z up 150mph.right now she say it has 500,000+ miles on it.Sounds alittle hokie to me.Any thought's?

· Registered
25 Posts
It's not so hokie. I'd had my stock 79zx upto about 150 couldn't really tell though cus speedO only went to 140 but it was pegged hard. my 79 had 295k miles, a bad idler arm and was non turbo.
No mods, 100% stock well 99%. lost 1% to rust so it weighed less.
now I have an '81 and speedo only goes to 80 Thats going to be one of the first things I change on this car .

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Yeh, RIIIIIGHT!

And what RPM were you turning at this speed?

· Registered
25 Posts
Re: Yeh, RIIIIIGHT!

some where around 7krpm maybe 7500,It was 6 years ago. Look, I have no reason to try and impress anyone,I just said it wasn't so hokie. It's posible.
When I buy a car that has a 140mph speedO in it I'm gona try it. Beleive me or not,I don't care really. Maybe I lucked out by not throwing a rod thru the block , maybe I lucked out when the front end actually held together, maybe I lucked out when the tires actually stayed on the wheels,Whatever. I pushed the car to see if it would go and it did , I didn't care at the time if I wrecked it ,didn't Care if I got clocked by CSP on open highway at 2am. Had one thing on my mind PEG THE SPEEDO , so I did it. my 81 may never go that fast , but I know for fact my 79 did. Wondering why I don't have that car any more ?? Licence Revoked for 5 years! But 02/04/02 is almost here and I'll be ready to try again ! I'll take ya for the ride of your life. It May be your last one , heh, but it'll be fun!

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Wow, you've got some car there!

I've been told that aerodynamically and gearing wise, the 280ZX hits a wall around 135mph. What other modifications did you do to get to that speed? What rear-gear did you have? Your experiences would help me immeasurably as I am in the process of building a Bonneville car, and have not been able to get a stock N/A car over 5500rpm with the stock gearing in fifth. What am I doing wrong?

· Registered
25 Posts
Re: Wow, you've got some car there!

I think I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm here.
Aerodynamics I have no clue about. And also like I said it was open highway , not on a DYNO , I was just reading what my guage told me. I pegged it, for all I know I may have only been doing 130 with the wrong size tire.I'll guarantee you it didn't have a 4:11 gearset. it had no air dam or rear wing which as you know create downforce and drag. as far as I'm concerned it was stock. I drove it for 6 months and gave it back to the dealer I bought it from because I wasn't going to be driving anything for the next 5 years. as far as RPMs proabaly the tires again. Don't ask what size cus I don't remember.
I can tell by reading some of your past posts that you're quite knowledgeable and i'm not discrediting that.
But to say that zx"hits a wall @135" and I say I pegged @ 140 I know your playing games becase any variable can mean 5 freakin MPH upto and including it was 2 am in Janurary and only 25 degrees outside. and the fact that I live in a higher alttitude ( less moisture ,less air , less drag ! and as for 150 mph maybe she's just yanking his chain , I don't know , I just ASSUMED my guage pegged @ 140 what's another 10 MPH .
Are you done playing games with me yet,or should I just stop posting at all, because everything I say is going to be Critequed by you for mechanical and physical accuracy ?

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
It was Christmas, and I was being charitable.

O.K., fine, then "You're full of B.S." The speedo on the Z is terribly innacurate, and the speedo error alone will peg you before you hit 130.
7500 in a stock FI car, GET REAL!
I was just being charitable as it was christmas. High altitude? That means less air density, which means less HP, and that means less top speed. With the CD and Drag coefficients of the N/A ZX models, the stock car will go 135. You may get more if you top-end it for several miles, downhill, with a stiff tailwind. But there is no way in **** you are going to get anywhere near 7500rpm for that legnth of time in a stocker.
Impossible.
Again, I wasn't being sarcastic, Just charitable. I don't like calling someone a lying SOB on christmas. BTW, which is it? Are you not driving for 2 years, or 5 years. Your web of lies hangs you...

· Registered
107,597 Posts
i live in south mississippi, and we have quite a few long, flat bridges down here. (i don't have to worry about a state trooper sitting in the median) i have a stock 77280z, 4spd 3.545. i have lightened it a little, took off the front bumper which i know does'nt help aerodynamics. with 3/4 tank of gas, i've had the speedo read 120. now i know the speedo is wrong, and i was doing faster than that, as i have 205/70/14's on the rear. i don't know how much it is off though, but i do know that the power drops off at about 5500-5750rpm and i was right at 5900rpm. about 2-3 times a week, i try to beat my best, along with any time i do anything to the car. it still has all the factory a/c and fan, so i know i could cut a good bit of weight, but we reeeealy need a/c down here. oh yeah,,,and the air is really thick and humid.

· Registered
25 Posts
Re: It was Christmas, and I was being charitable.

5 years, never said 2 years and have lied about nothing, read it again. and fine you Win. I'll find a more friendly forum to chat in. gota be some where out there where not everyone's an AEROSPACE Engineer who knows god personally! Farewell

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Not off by much...

Your speed, as given by your data and using 5900 rpm's is 125.26mph.
Like I said, I don't know of ANYONE who has pulled more than 6000 in top gear in a N/A 280ZX. 7000 to 7500 rpms is just so much B.S., I gotta call it out.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Then again, IF you had a five speed...

Then the numbers you gave me would be for exactly 145mph.
But that's not the case, and you wouldn't pull that anyway.
At least your claim is BELIEVEABLE! Rippers is just SO much B.S. that it can't be left unchallenged.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
I confused 2pm and 5 years...

I re-read, but was bumped off before I could re-post.
Either way, which is it? you state 6 years and a five year suspension.
I mean, you are called out. You state 7500 rpm. If you at least made it a BELIEVABLE lie, then I wouldn't make such an issue. But since I'm involved with the car you mentioned in the Z Home article, maybe I do know the score.
I'm no aerospace engineer, and I'm no benchracer. You wanna post B.S., then EXPECT to be called to give the details. Like I told the last guy who posted that his 280ZX did 180 on a regular basis, stock, at least make your claims 'believable'.
He got upset and says he left, too. I guess you just can't stand it when someone calls you on your B.S., and sticks to it. Don't B.S. me, and don't mislead the newbies who actually BELEIVE the things posted here, out-of-hand.
BTW, I really didn't go back and calculate your speed for 7500, but I'm sure it's a world record. Why don't you meet me out in Bonneville September next year, or at ElMirage next May 5th for a run to see just how fast you really can go? I'll be there, will you?

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
That should say 2 A.M. N/M

And "what's 10mph more" at 140, oh, just another 100HP, as drag increases with the square of the speed...
And the article, yeah, that car does a best speed of 167 at Bonneville, but it's FAR from stock. I will be attending the SCTA Banquet Jan 19th, and picking up my Jacket for crewing on that vehicle this past year.
Don't B.S., that's all I'm saying. You B.S., don't get P.O. and runaway when you get caught!

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
81ZX WILL go over 100!

Though you're right, the speedo only says "85". My 81 2+2 would pull hard in fifth well over 4000rpm. I just installed that engine in my 75 Fairlady Z 2+2, see preliminary results above!
I wonder if that would work with a cop: "I was only doing 85, that's what my speedo said!"

· Registered
158 Posts
Re: Not off by much...

Oh cool. So, if these are top speeds for the 280sx, how fast has anybody had their 240z's going? How about 240z's with L28 transplants plus turbo, which is what I have (but have many issues to work out before I find out how fast it can go). This is a pretty humorous thread I must say, but I'm learning about top speed calculation and rpm, so hey, how about a little more. Since my tach and speedo are both broke, along with headlights, heat, and on and on, I would have no idea how fast or how many rpm's I'm pullin', but I can tell you I can pull 7lbs. of boost without being worried about the guages or blowing anything up (so far so good). Are we saying that a turbo won't really let you do more rpm's, just get you there faster? And, what is the approx. top speed for a 240z? Do you hit this 'aerodynamic barrier' thingy at 135mph or so???

Kurt

· Registered
34 Posts
well, if it was a 5speed and turbo, maby but as soon as you start to hit 7rpm+ you start to rip apart the manifold and such, so that is really a lie, and other thanthat, the ontly thing that may be able to reach that is a 5speec turbo, or 5speed NOS... thats my 2 cents!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.