ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo guys and girls as necessary. Wife says to change the silver z to black. Told her the cost which is escalating since Maaco is out. Good dude will do it all for $1800 which is reasonable I think??????? Weld any holes (mirror changes and badge changes) and do it right. Is a 78Z with 55K miles and in fantastic shape worth a new "same color" paint job or a "new" color reasonable. God I love this thing........... Keep it original for $1500 or go wild for $1800........

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Gramps,
You can tell from what my car looks like what my vote will be.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: 78Z Paint Estimates & wife input</b>

A good black paint job looks killer, no doubt about it. The drawbacks are:
* The body must be absolutely perfect because black will show every flaw
* Black shows dust, scratches, dents and any imperfections better than any other color
* Black is hotter than hades in the summer and will cook the interior faster. (I had a black car that actually melted my cassette tapes)

But if you love the car, a few hundred bucks one way or the other doesn't matter.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Say, Grandpa Joe, this sounds like deja vu all over again. Seems like me and John answered these questions about 2 weeks ago. Have you checked the archives lately?

Just let me remind you that, along with what John says about black paint, all of which is true, every scratch and chip you get will be a highly visible silver blemish against the darker background. In about 6 months, your beautiful black finish just may look like one of those Metal Streak bowling balls they used to sell.

And, John, I used to live in sun-baked south Texas too. I never had a tape melt, cause if it was hot enough to soften plastic it was sunny enough to leave the cage at home and ride my Triumph Trident. I've got a few years on you and a Kawasaki 1100 is still parked next to my ZX out in the garage. Like the old saying goes, "You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding." I'm never gonna let that happen.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>So I take it you just gave your daughter....</b

the gift certificate to K-mart instead.Just Kidding
Go silver just because I'm lazy and silver is easier to maintain. Except in Texas (Dallas) red and silver usually fades real quick. Although black is sexier it is more time consuming and maybe that is why your wife wants you out of the house and in the garage instead of bothering her.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
What happened to Yellow with Black Stripe

Have you given up on BUMBL Z??

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Massive Brain Fart

I am going to go with repainting the hood, roof, hatch, air dam and spoiler for about $750 and use the other $750 or so for springs, struts, all new bushings and a good sounding exaust. But I just can't get the Bumbl Z out of my head...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: paint estimates

I'm trying to decide on new paint too...presently Z is white. How do you make white unique without going triple stage? There is a Z in my area painted like a viper -
Dodge blue with double stripe. Looks like it had a Kaminari kit also....very sharp.
Anyone got any suggestions? (my last Z was "teal" - off of an '88 suzuki samuri - painted in 89 WAY before teal cars were dime a dozen. looked very nice on Z body.It started out that "leaf green" - very '70's)

·
Registered
11 Posts

Have you thought about adding some pearl powder
to a clearcoat over the white? This will give it a
slight glow of color depending on how light is hitting
the car. House of Kolor or Metalflake make these. Find
a dealer in your area and I'm sure they will have color
cards for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I got a quote to repaint my 78Z (with 50k original miles) and fix some hood damage. The car has the original gold metallic paint and they are going to paint it a similar color only with more metallic oxide in the paint which will lighten it up some. The shop I chose has the Glasurit Autolak (european) paint system (this or Spies Hecker seems the only way to go). They have the whole system including the full vacuum booth, infrared lighting and computer mixing room. I got a quote of $1,500 and that includes bumper to bumper corrections of door dings etc. I was able to get cheaper quotes but not by shops having the same quality paint, personnel and equipment. I'm in Austin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.