ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78Z clutch will not release. The master is full of fluid and I even bled the line. The yoke moves well over an inch when I watch as someone pushes the clutch in. I pulled the boot and I can see the throwout bearing push the clutch release arms in quite a way. Is it possible or common for the the plate to get stuck to the flywheel? If so, can anyone suggest an easy way to remedy the problem short of pulling the tranny? The car is just out of winter storage. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keith,

Try posting this question on the 70-83 forum. I think you will get a quicker answer. My clutch did that once but it just needed to be bled.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<b>RE: 78Z clutch that won't release</b>

Go ahead and pull the tranny.
It's not that hard if you've
done it once before. If you have'nt, it will be very irritating. Also try to start your car and pump the clutch rapidly and hard. Sounds like a bad case of rust on your pressure plate due to storage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keith, It sounds like the pressure plate is rusted as Anthony stated. I had a TR7 that acted like that after sitting a long time. I warmed up the engine, shut it off, put it in first gear, started the car, with plenty of room to manuever, and then started bouncing on the accelerator. the torque of the engine and drivetrain speeding and slowing broke the clutch loose as I drove it in the lot . It worked for me. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.