ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a78 280z with a 81zx turbo harness. When I hook up blue wire to negative side of coil it runs rich. I have heard you have to disconnect the ignition transistor under glove box and hook blue wire to resistor. What resistor..any suggestions

·
Registered
662 Posts
Okay, not nearly enough information but:
The 1978 280Z has an electronic ignition module inside the cabin - under the glove box area. The Blue wire from that ignition module serves two purposes - it sends the signal to fire the coil AND it provides the Tach signal. That ignition module is not used when you do an L28ET swap (which is what i am ASSUMING you have) The L28ET uses a completely different electronic ignition module controlled by the ECCS ECU.

You should completely remove the stock electronic ignition module if you are actually firing the coil some other way. THAT HOWEVER has absolutely nothing to do with the fueling of an L28ET... But then, I have no idea if you actually have an L28ET swap because you just say that you have "a 81zx turbo harness"... So...

(I WILL say: The 280Z Tach works just fine with a correctly installed and wired stock L28ET using the stock 280ZXT Coil and Ignitor when the 280Z electronic ignition module is removed and that blue wire is connected to the "-" post of the turbo coil (plus many other coil/ignitor configurations - I've done a bunch of different things to spark an L28ET or other L-series engine))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry. Yes I have a78 with a turbo swap engine and harness from a 1981 280zx turbo. I did disconnect the electronic igniton module. I have a problem module I think it is conversion. It will idle fine when blue wire is hook to - side but when I drove it when it got into boost it would boot down at 1lb of boost and higher. I took blue wire off and it didn't do it. I also have a smell of gas from exhaust. Could be temp sensor. The fuel pressure was at 35 so I turned down to about 26. Also had leak on manuel boost contol. Trying to keep it at 101bs. If it goes higher it sputters and back fires. I do have a intercooler...so I hope I ate given you enough info. And I do appreciate your help. And so far tach wire is still off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts