ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy yet another Z. The Clutch in this 5 speed 78 Z feels as if nothing is there. The guy said that the slave cylinder has gone out before, and it might be that once again. I'm just scared that it's the pressure plate or throw out bearing or something that I don't want to get into. The body is decent and the interior is good, and it runs great. (other than the fact I can't drive it due to the clutch). Does anyone know how I could tell before buying it? The master cylinder is full so that hasn't leaked out. And he's only asking $400... So if it's fairly simple to fix, it would make a good daily driver.
Any Opinions?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
400 bucks for a 78 Z, even if the clutch is in pieces is a pretty good deal. But then again, I've pulled engines and trannys so a clutch really isn't a big deal to me. A clutch job should only run about 300 bucks at a shop, but get a quote first, as I maybe totaly wrong.

jA

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mat, you could test the clutch by starting it in gear, then driving around the block or where ever you do not need to stop...also you can shift with out the clutch by matching trans and engine speed. If you've done this before, you know how...I had to get out of the boonies a couple of times this way. Hope this helps...sounds like a good buy regardless.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sound like a hydraulic problem if there is minimal pressure to push in the clutch, however it could also be the pivot for the clutch fork is knocked off. Have someone push in the clutch, and see if the slave cylinder moves. You said it isn't driveable, is that because it won't go into gear? If so, put it in gear before starting it, and see if it moves. Be prepared to shut engine back off.
The car sounds like a good buy, regardless of the clutch
problem. Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$400.00? I will take it if near Pa. If it looks good and the interior is good and it will start it is worth the bucks..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.