ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '78 280Z (not running, bought as a hobby car) and I'm wondering if it's any sort of special edition model. The former owner mentioned it was a special edition when new, but didn't elaborate.

It's black (has been repainted black also), and I can see it had pinstripes along the sides. It doesn't seem to have any special features (has manual windows/locks, standard dash and gages), but it does have A/C, a 5-speed, and a louver on the back hatch window.

Anyone know where I can find the specs for what I seem to remember seeing somewhere as a black pearl edition of the '78 280Z?

-Rob

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
> I just bought a '78 280Z (not running,
> bought as a hobby car) and I'm wondering if
> it's any sort of special edition
> model. The former owner mentioned it was a
> special edition when new, but
> didn't elaborate.

> Anyone know where I can find the specs for
> what I seem to remember seeing somewhere as
> a black pearl edition of the '78
> 280Z?

The Black Pearl was indeed a special edition, most notably marked by it's black exterior and black interior. To my knowledge, this was the first time a black on black combination was used on a Z.

The Black Pearl edition also included rear louvers and dual sport mirrors. This was the second time that dual mirrors were used on the Z, the first being the '77 ZAP edition.

If your Z was originally black on black, has dual factory mirrors and factory louvers, it is a Black Pearl edition. Not exceptionally rare as to command a huge resale value, but rare enough to get looks from Z guys (and gals).

Hope this info helps.

- Dave
'78 280Z

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.