ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in and read the archives on AFM adjustments. Only one question. If I loosen the AFM flap spring one or two turns does it make it richer or leaner??

·
Registered
96 Posts
> I went in and read the archives on AFM
> adjustments. Only one question. If I loosen
> the AFM flap spring one or two turns does it
> make it richer or leaner??

Great Question.

Here's how it was exlained to me.

By loosening the spring tension, slightly, you are allowing the flap to open a little faster and a little farther than it normally would from the intake vacuum. Now what this does is trick the ECU into thinking you are getting more air in there than you actually are, thus it increases the fuel. So you are running richer, momentarily. If you loosen it too much, you'll get too rich, especially when cold. I've learned this from experience.

There is a little screw that holds tension on the spring gear, by loosening this screw you will be able to loosen the spring tension one notch at a time. It's said to go no more than 5 notches. Mark, the gear with a felt tip pen or something so you know where you started. That way you can move it around to get the best performance, but always know where your baseline is. That's where I goofed.

I think it made a little difference in my car, but I'm sure you could tune it in perfectly with the right emmisions equipment.

Hope this helps,

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.