ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>anyone know of some alt ie other than datsun to get A/C back up or a sourse for new or rebuilt parts for this 78's a/c? the compressor is seized up and i wouldn't bet the farm on the dryer, condensor, or evaporator core being in any better shape. If we're going to put this puppy back in shape we may as well be cool when we get done. A/C is something that ranks right up there with real cold beer as a priorty during the summer down here in South Georgia. Tkx Popeye

· Registered
402 Posts
Motorsport sells a complete kit with all parts & hoses needed to put a/c in a 78 for around $600. I need a condensor in my 78 and I'm thinking like you that after 23 years everything else is probably on it's way out. I may just go ahead and get this kit since it might be cheaper in the long run than replacing parts separately.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
I have had considerable experience with this. I am not sure if the MSA aftermarket or rotary compressor kit is better than OEM, but I am open to opinions on that. I really don't know. What I do know is that if you are going to "fix" your A/C you have to go all the way. If you do a partial job, you can get very bad, and environmentally unfriedlny results. The compressor should be rebuilt. Even if it works, you don't know what kind of condition it is in and for how long it will work. If it goes, that woulsd be a mess. I know that the cost of a new unit is unbelieivalbe. So, I would recommend rebuil;ding it. Should cost a few hundred bucks. THe Receiver/Dryer whould be replaced. It is where all fo the impurities are filtered out. Old hoses should be replaced. There are two units, the evaproator and the condenser, which must be leak-free. Again, the price of a new unit is prohibitive. I would recommend guying a pressure-tested unit from a used parts outfit. I bought one from ZBarn (advertised on this site) for $75. It is not installed yet, but looks good. You will also liekly have to replace your idler pulley. Zbarn has thiose too, rebuilt with new bearings. As for the choice of refrigerant, there are planty of posts on that. My opinion is that freon is the way to go and just works better. As for a cost-benefit vs. the rotary comkpressor MSA systwem, well, I just don't know. I am goign to keep it OEM.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
170 Posts
I am further south in FL and I have a "75 with factory air. When I purchased it
some 15 months ago the ac compressor (2) and mount where in a box. Like
you I was going to get a new one till I checked the price. I took it to the shop
and had the old compressor installed with new hoses and dryer. It has been
through two summers and is still doing great! When I redid the heater valve
I checked the under dash pieces and they looked brand new.
Your choice but I am pleased with my decision.
LaRue

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Just another thing I thought of.

I have seen some really ugly (from an installation point-of-view) aftermarket A/C setups. They have evaporators that take the place of the radio in the dash. Well, where are you supposed to put the radio then?? And what about the control system? I read one post about a poor guy that had it set at one temperature (which was really cold) and did not know how to adjust it. The poor guy was freezing!! It could only be set to one level, which was not even temperature-controlled. I would want it adjustable, because humidity is as much of a factor, if not more, than temperature. The OEM systems have a farily elaborate control system with them that works well. I do not know how the MSA ones install, but just watch for this kind of problem.

In my dealings with MSA, I have nothing really bad to say about them, but I have found them to be a bit too salesy at times. In one case, they pushed hard for meto buy their K&N filters, which I ended up returning. They also sent me their "flush-mounted" mirrors. Well, after I went to install it I realized that it required drilling screws into the nice chrome trim on top of th edoor panel. I promptly returned it. That is a difficult install that results in something that is flimsy, prone to damage, and damages one of the trim pieces on the car.

Just beware and thing about what you want to do. I would say that if you rebuild the compressor, buy a new receiver/dryer, you are lookign at about the same cost. I have no idea whether or not this rotary compressor is new, and superior, technology.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
if the compressor is seized check to see if its been converted to r-134 crap
if it is you may have a mess of metal or plastic particles inside the whole
system. if the system has just been sitting a long time the compressor might
just be frozen. In any event my suggestion would be to take all the components out Yes a pain, and flush the system with lacquer thinner and blow out with compressed air. then replace the expansion valve (cheap insurance)
oh and take the expansion valve out before flushing the evaporator.
then take the evaporator to a radiator shop and have them leak check it.
Then ide buy a brand new sanden a/c compressor. cheap, a couple hundred
or less on ebay and modify your a/c mounts to fit the sanden.
then take it to an a/c shop and have hoses made. its fairly easy for them
they have a hose crimper tool
put it all together and pull a vacuum and see if it holds. you can try using
a refrigerant called envirosafe which is on ebay. runs at lower pressures than
r134 and you can use the original oil that ran in the old freon system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.