ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.. My mechanic tried to get the plug out of my diff to check the fluid and the plug won't budge. He says the cover is aluminum and the plugs are steel and doesn't want to try too hard or he may crack the cover... Any thoughts on this? Should I get a new cover? How easy is it to replace the cover? Thanks guys. Throw me a life ring.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
> Hi everyone.. My mechanic tried to get the
> plug out of my diff to check the fluid and
> the plug won't budge. He says the cover is
> aluminum and the plugs are steel and doesn't
> want to try too hard or he may crack the
> cover... Any thoughts on this? Should I get
> a new cover? How easy is it to replace the
> cover? Thanks guys. Throw me a life
> ring.....

Well I've been in a similar bind myself. I had overtightened my plug and cracked it. A new cover runs about 65 bucks (this was for an R180 and I'm assuming you have an R200 as it's a 78) but I can't imagine there's much price difference. Ultimately I just used it as a great excuse to put an R200 from a junkyard in. Cost for the whole diff was 65 bucks. (personally I think it was a better deal than the cover for 65)
You might try heating the cover around the plug with a blow torch, or using the canned air that you clean computers with and turn it upside down to shoot refrigerant on the plug and contract it. Otherwise, I'd plan on busting it out with an impact wrench and taking your chances on having to buy a new cover.

And have the guy put teflon tape on the **** thing when he puts it back in. It seals better and you won't have this problem next time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem, squirt it with some PB Blaster and crank it with a big honkin' breaker bar or impact...it'll come out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.