ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could be causing my 77 to foul out the spark plugs????? This happens about once every 5,000 miles or so.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Duh! rings needed! oil bypass

> What could be causing my 77 to foul out the
> spark plugs????? This happens about once
> every 5,000 miles or so.
> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thank you

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Sherri, the best place to start looking at why you have this plug problem would be a good book. Try a Haynes manual. My plugs on my '77 Z have fouled out several times and none were oil related. My problems have been over heating, DUH? , and running too rich. Anyway, it could be caused by several things, not necessarily bad rings, DUH. My '77 only has 70K on it, 6K of which I've put on. Better not have a ring problem! Good Luck! Someone here should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Does your car smoke?

What color and at what times?

If it's black smoke then it's running too rich. If it's blue then it's burning oil.

Let us know which one and we'll go from there.

-Trevor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 77 Z (Trevor)

Trevor,
Black Smoke, but it also does use oil, and it does not leak out unless it is only happening when I am on the road. Its garage kept and there are never any puddles on the floor.

Any ideas???????????????

Sherri

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: 77 Z (Trevor)

> Trevor,
> Black Smoke, but it also does use oil, and
> it does not leak out unless it is only
> happening when I am on the road. Its garage
> kept and there are never any puddles on the
> floor.

> Any ideas???????????????

When I got my '78 it smoked quite a lot too. Ran very bad at idle as well. I cleaned all the connections to all the sensors on the engine. Cleaned out the air control valve and lubed it up (sprayed carb cleaner into it and when it dried I sprayed penitrating oil in). Checked the throttle position sensor to make sure it wasn't thinking it was floored all the time.
I then unplugged the cold start injector incase it was stuck on and it wasn't. Since it ran just as bad cold as it did hot.
The final step was to adjust the screw on the side of the air flow meter out as far as it would go to let more air bypass the meter. I took it for a smog check the next day and it was still way over on HC's and C(somethings). I then popped the cover off the meter and adjusted the wheel inside till the car started to miss and then backed it off a bit. The next day it sailed through smog so it must have been adjusted right (and no drop in power).

So the first step is to clean all the connections.

I think all of the steps I did made a small difference so it had a few problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.