ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange problem with my 77, I take it out and drive it until it gets to operating temp, then I shut it off and try starting it back up a couple of minutes later and it just cranks. It has also done this once while I was driving, came to a stop light and it just quit. It does have spark, fuel pump is working and injectors seem to be cycling, fuel pressure is within specs and I've replaced the pressure regulator, filter and most of the lines. The weird thing is that when it won't start like this if I take the fuel supply line and disconnect it from the rail and just crank it with fuel going onto the ground it will start and run until the fuel in the rail is gone, hook the hose back up and it will run fine. Any help or suggestion or appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
> Strange problem with my 77, I take it out
> and drive it until it gets to operating
> temp, then I shut it off and try starting it
> back up a couple of minutes later and it
> just cranks. It has also done this once
> while I was driving, came to a stop light
> and it just quit. It does have spark, fuel
> pump is working and injectors seem to be
> cycling, fuel pressure is within specs and
> I've replaced the pressure regulator, filter
> and most of the lines. The weird thing is
> that when it won't start like this if I take
> the fuel supply line and disconnect it from
> the rail and just crank it with fuel going
> onto the ground it will start and run until
> the fuel in the rail is gone, hook the hose
> back up and it will run fine. Any help or
> suggestion or appreciated, thanks in
> advance.

Thats weird man. Anyways, I had something similar happen with my 76. When it would get warm it would cut out, sometimes, and wouldnt start again untill it was cool. Turned out to be the ECU. If you can get your hands on one that you know for sure works, get to where your car is having the problem and then put it in. if it fixes the problem then there you go. As for any other suggestions, you got me!

Mike B.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Vapor Lock?

Sounds Like Vapor lock to me. Fuel is cooking inside your fuel rail from engine heat right after you stop. Do you still have the metal heat shield between your exhaust and intake mainifolds? If this has been removed - that is why you have the problem. Some ZX's have cooling fans that run for a while after shutdown to prevent this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.