ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 280z with rust behind the hood hinge on the drivers side front where it mounts to (headlight bucket?)? The car has 56,000 original miles. It was garaged in Southern California when not driven. Never driven in the rain. It is all original except for one piece (6 inches) of fuel line, and new Michelin tires. The paint has some crazed spots on the roof and hood. Does anyone know the ball park value for something in this condition? And how difficult is the rust going to be to repair? Thanks, just curious.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem on my 78 in Bakersfield, CA..the ONLY rust on the car is about a 1.5inch x1.5 inch hole right by the hinge...not the metal directly where the hinge bolts to, but RIGHT next to it...the ONLY rust on the car....very wierd. anyone know WHY this is a bad place? I would also be interested in how much it costs to have that patched up....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ball park $$$ for a car as you describe probably 2 thou...maybe less if there is more rust hiding somewhere...I paid 1800 for my 78...two 2" holes near the top edges of both headlight buckets (inside the engine compartment) and a lousy paint jow...rest of car in fine condition...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Unfortunately that rust is normal on the 280Z's. The unibody has a boxed section of steel running from the headlights to the firewall under the fenders. Moisture gets in there from driving in the rain and has no way of getting out. My bodyshop fixed mine for a few hundred extra when I got my car painted. Make sure they do the job right and put some anticorrosive in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.