ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 77 that's been parked for 8-9 years. I've replaced the fuel lines, freed up and cleaned the fuel pump and tank and got the thing running (but just barely). I had to run a hot wire to the fuel pump as it didn't have any juice with the key on, I've check the fuses and block with a test light and all seems well. When the engine runs now, it is REALLY running rich and loading up and smoking bad. As you may be able to tell, I haven't any experience with these cars or FI system and and would appreciate any help. I've purchased a couple of generic 'manuals' for this car, but have yet to get one that details any of the systems or problems I've encountered to this point. Any assistance with diagrams, schematics or whatever would be greatly appreciated. Thanx all.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
> I recently acquired a 77 that's been parked
> for 8-9 years. I've replaced the fuel lines,
> freed up and cleaned the fuel pump and tank
> and got the thing running (but just barely).
> I had to run a hot wire to the fuel pump as
> it didn't have any juice with the key on,
> I've check the fuses and block with a test
> light and all seems well. When the engine
> runs now, it is REALLY running rich and
> loading up and smoking bad. As you may be
> able to tell, I haven't any experience with
> these cars or FI system and and would
> appreciate any help. I've purchased a couple
> of generic 'manuals' for this car, but have
> yet to get one that details any of the
> systems or problems I've encountered to this
> point. Any assistance with diagrams,
> schematics or whatever would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanx all.
Good day. I have a '77 that I acquired under almost the same cirqumstances. You may wish to get a Hayne's Manual first and go to the back section of the book under supplemental as that will have info on adjusting your mixture. With car that has been sitting that long, you may also want to make a list of things to replace out of precaution more than anything. Example, fuel injectors ( about $50 each ), fuel pressure valve, vacuum lines, plugs, wires, fuel filter, cold start injector, fuel pump, and distributor parts for starters. Most of this stuff you can do yourself and the manual will guide you. Hope this helps. richard

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
JS,
I currently own my second '77 model. I have the Nissan service manual and have gone through what you are currently experiencing. E-mail me directly and I'll fill you in on all the gory details. Most of your problems are due to dry rot, corrosion, etc. some of them will require you to take it to a very well equipped shop to truly fix. Not a huge amount of money but you need an exhaust gas analyzer to do the final set-up on the fuel injection system.
also - where do you live?
Phantom

·
Registered
405 Posts
> I recently acquired a 77 that's been parked
> for 8-9 years. I've replaced the fuel lines,
> freed up and cleaned the fuel pump and tank
> and got the thing running (but just barely).
> I had to run a hot wire to the fuel pump as
> it didn't have any juice with the key on,
> I've check the fuses and block with a test
> light and all seems well. When the engine
> runs now, it is REALLY running rich and
> loading up and smoking bad. As you may be
> able to tell, I haven't any experience with
> these cars or FI system and and would
> appreciate any help. I've purchased a couple
> of generic 'manuals' for this car, but have
> yet to get one that details any of the

AS for your fuel pump check the fusible links in the engine compartment located on the passenger side fender. The two black cups that have what look like little jumper wires in them. They're usually covered with white plastic caps that quite often are gone by now. Pull, clean and inspect. Make sure you've got continuity there. That's where your pump is fused. AS for your
rich problem the common culprit usually is the water temp sensor. It's located on the upper front of the engine. Quite often they either go bad or the electrical connections get corroded. If it's not working properly the ECU thinks the engine is always cold and runs the car rich. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
136 Posts
FI reference

I have a 77 that sat for 15 years!! believe it or not the car ran great right out of storage!! If you are looking for info on how your FI system works, try

How to Tune and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection

I forget the authors name but I have the book at home and it does a pretty good job of explaining what the system consists of and how everything works. my local Borders book store stocked it. Of course a factory manual will be the only way to get real specific info. I have found that most of the problems with these cars stem from the horrible electrical connectors the factory used. I have inspected, cleaned and protected every critical connection in my car (yes even under the dash!). good luck.

Perry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.