ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 2+2 280z with a great running engine and pretty decent transmission, but the body isn't in very good shape. I found a 78 Z with a good body but the engine is crap. I was wondering it would be possible to swap the 77 engine ( and probably tranny) into the 78 body. Would there be any problems or differences between the two? Thank you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No problems...
If you have the right tools,
you could bust it out in a day.

Been there done it.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
'77-'78 engines and trannies are essentially identical, for both the coupe and 2+2. (early and later L28s are different) So this is the best swap you could have arranged. However, there is a significant difference in the clutches of the coupe and 2+2. They are NOT interchangeable. The 2+2 has, the same size flywheel, but a larger mating surface, larger clutch disc and larger pressure plate. They're supposed to have a slightly stiffer pedal, but I've never driven a 2+2 so couldn't address that. You should be okay to swap the whole engine/tranny as a unit, just be aware of what you have when you need to buy a clutch down the road. Go for it!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Re: Alternators

ignition module and small thing like that are different btw 77-78 because 78 is 280z but enternally same as 79-80 280zx.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What do I need to do when I find these small differences? Like, should I set it up like the 78 had it or just stick with the 77 style?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

78 ignition sucks. unless your distrubutor doesn't work with 77 ignition module, I'll just leave those in

·
Registered
5,716 Posts

Personally, I would reuse basically all attachments from what's in the '78 now. The car was set up with ext. alternator, so why re-invent the wheel trying to adapt something else? Same with, for example, the AC compressor. Just undo that stuff from the bad engine, but don't even remove it from engine bay. Just coat-hangar it out of the way and reattach to the new engine when it's in.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I second JR... reuse the '78 alt, ac comp (if you have one), ect. Much easier. It is also far easier to pull and put in the motor with the tranny attached. Just be sure to remove the shift lever before pulling motor!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.