ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 280X 2+2 that needs a engine and all the fuel injection stuff and radiator.
I have a chance to get a 81 280ZX 2+2 for next to nothing but want to know if the engine and fuel injection will work in my 77 body. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
The good news is, this swap will work and be relatively easy to do. I am planning on a similar swap (tho not the same year cars) and have been trying to find out all I can. Here's some of what I know or have been told here on the forum:
1) Use the intake manifold from the OLD motor, as the newer sensors will not all be compatible with the older system. For example, L28 in the '77 did not use an oxygen sensor, '81 did (yeah, I know the 02 is in the exhaust, it's just an example).
2) The car will run BEST if you swap over to the '81 engine management system that uses, among other things, the 02 sensor. This is a lot more involved as you have to xfer much of the wiring and ECU.
3) If the cars are both 2+2 manual trans cars, you'll be better off than if one was a coupe and the other a back-seater. 2+2s had bigger clutches and pressure plates (and possibly a different flywheel) than the coupes.
4) There are internal differences between the '77 and '81, notably that the '77 has dished pistons and the '81 has flattops. A straight motor swap is okay, but if you start changing heads and so on around, you have to do a lot more homework to get it right.
5) Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.