ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 280Z that has been sitting for about 7 years. Now that I want to start it and drive it again. I find that the brake fluid has dried up in the reservoir. Anybody had the same problem? If so how was it fixed. I haven't tried to start the engine yet. Any ideas on what to exspect?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
i have discovered the same thing for my 1973 240z that has been sitting five years (it was ok two years ago). i took the clutch master off to discover that (i think) the seal around the rod which connects to the pedal has gone sour (judging by the bad paint on the interior side of the firewall). i took it apart and all looked ok, just needs an inexpensive seal kt and clean-up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello my fellow Zcar owner. I have a 78 280Z that has been sitting for 4 years. I compression checked to get about 155 to 165 psi across all 6. So far I've ran into: bad gas in the tank and lines ( drained tank & changed fuel filter and pump, got gas to the injectors, but no spark out of the injectors (plan to electrically test with a "noid light"I just picked up), clutch cylinder is empty (plan to change fluid, replace master & slave cyliders). I bought the car a few months ago from the original owner who said it ran good when it was parked to pursue a corvette project. Hope this has been a little helpful.

Drop me an email & let me know how it's coming.

P.S. I actually one 78 280Z 2+2 & a 78 280Z coupe. The coupe is my daily driver. I drive approx 200+ miles per day. I've rebuilt the engine & suspension in the last 2 years, but plan to convert the suspesion to coil over set up.

Take care & good luck,
Bob

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 77 280Z Sitting 7 years</b>

Per Bob's comment, the brakelines and other hydraulics are the least of your problems. The gas has no doubt turned to varnish (or whatever it is old gas turns into) and that can cause big probs. Ihave never run into this with a fuel injected car, but have resurrected several carbureted cars that have sat for a long time. Worst case scenario, this involved getting the tank steamed out and coated inside to cover rust (from condensation), blowing acetone through fuel lines, replacing all rubber fuel lines and completely tearing apart and rebuilding the carb, which looked like somebody had poured glue into it. Normal parts cleaner won't touch this varnish stuff, by the way. Only full-strength carb cleaner works.
If this has happened to your fuel system, I'd be surprised if you didn't have to replace the fuel pump and all the injectors. Hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I bought a '76 that was sitting for 5+ years...
Fuel pump was stuck..I had to take the inlet end off the pump (pinch off the gas hose first!) and had to turn the pump by hand to get it unstuck...Don't let the little 'cogs' fall out...and I also changed oil and filter before the first starting attempt.
The car started and ran fine even with the 5yr old gas...
I did find a lot of crud built up in the gas tank which is very hard to get rid of and kepy blocking the tank outlet 'screen' which is inside the tank...
Also ended up taking the car to the dealer to get the varnish cleaned out of the injectors. Car runs very well now....Make sure you check all the rubber hoses and belts for cracks, etc....Good luck...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
In addition to the above posts, this is what I have done to my 76 280 that had not been licsenced since '95, therefore not run.
-replaced the 4 sensors in the thermostat housing
-replaced injector connectors/sensor connectors
-cleaned electrical connectors
-have the injectors cleaned / repaired
-removed fuel tank / cleaned / coated (major crap & rust)
-cleaned fuel lines/fuel rail with acetone
-replace rubber fuel lines
-spend hours testing / trouble shooting
at this point I'm waiting for the injectors to get out of the shop, so I am replacing the rear brakes, rebuilding the wheel cylinders, turn drums and replacing the rear brake flex lines that are cracked. Knowing what I know now...I would start with the fuel tank and work to the front, clean all contacts and test the individual components before trying to start your z. Have Fun and get yourself a manual.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I recently purchased a 75 280z that hadn't been driven in two years. The guy also had a new vette project sitting in the garage. Luckily he started it once in a while so the tank was OK. I did have to replace all the fuel hoses because they were leaking all over the place and had to completely redo the brake system. Some things were able to be rebuilt. Just finished this last weekend putting on the rebuilt brake booster. Other then that the car runs like a charm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.