ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Idle screw on my car all the way closed and the lowest that it idles is
1500 RPM. It doesn't matter how long car has run either. I have tried removing the cold start injector and plugged the hole and it still idles at the same RPM. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this high idle?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have the Idle screw on my car all the way
> closed and the lowest that it idles is
> 1500 RPM. It doesn't matter how long car has
> run either. I have tried removing the cold
> start injector and plugged the hole and it
> still idles at the same RPM. Does anyone
> have any idea what could be causing this
> high idle?

a couple of things can cause this. a bad idle air regulator, a bad bcdd, or a bad thermovac switch. if the problem never changes with temperature i would suspect the idle air regulator. take a pair of needle nose pliers and pinch off the air hose leading to it. if the idle drops, replace the regulator. don't buy a used one because these parts only work reliably for about 60,000 miles. it's hard to find a used one that works well.

-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Personally, I would think that the idle screw is broken or stuck. If it doesn't make a difference which way you turn the screw, I would think that it was broken. If you can get it to go up, but not down, I would think that the threads are screwed up on the inside of the throttle body, and it's getting stuck.

If that's not the case, get a Haynes manual and start testing switches.

jA

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, I swithed the air regulator with one of my spare ones and the idle dropped down to a reasonable range.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You're Welcome

> Thanks man, I swithed the air regulator with
> one of my spare ones and the idle dropped
> down to a reasonable range.

I had to fight all the high idle problems on one of my cars and know what a pain in the a** it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.